cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New network hardware

N/A

New network hardware

At the moment I have a DLink DSL-500, a Belkin F5D7130 wireless access point and a Netgear 4 way hub (10Mbs). I've got a local (linux) server connected by UTP to the hub and two laptops conneting using Centrino chip sets.

I basically want to tidy up the configuration and roll the ADSL router, the access point and the hub into one. But I'd like to be able to keep the access point and put it upstairs as coverage is lousy up there (I think there are two large steel girders in the house!).

I like the easy of admin on the DSL-500 and any replacement has to have port redirection/blocking abilties available.

As for cost - well anything upto about £90

So any suggestions as to what is good and what is bad?
9 REPLIES
N/A

New network hardware

In my opinion DrayTek are the best but you won't get a new one for £90. You often see 2nd hand ones on Ebay for that though but as always be careful.

Look at the ADSL guide website for recommendations / reviews, also there is the:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.telecom.broadband?lnk=lr

news group which is pretty good for advice.

Personally I have also used Linksys, Dlink, netgear and 3-Com. The only one of those I didn't rate was the Netgear but ymmv. Otherwise they are all much of a muchness in my opinion but the DrayTek stands head and shoulders above the lot of them.
N/A

New network hardware

Avoid netgear as they are very sensitive to line attenuation and will drop out, reveiws on the ADSL sites say that linksys have the same problem. I have just changed to an SMC7904wbra. It cost £51 as everything you need, excellent reviews and it set up first time on my poor line. I can only get get a 500 line due to low quality but the SMC as not dropped out at all yet. I also contacted there technical support hotline with a question about VPN, they answered immediately and were very helpfull and knowedgable.

Go for It.

Steve Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

New network hardware

Hi Steve,

Netgear seems to fall into the love or hate category - there seems to be no halfway on this one.

For what it's worth, I've had a Netgear DG843G v2 for a year now - it's been rock solid (touches wood).

Just for fun let's all have our say.

Yeah or Nay - if Nay tell us what have you got :?:

Bill
N/A

New network hardware

I picked up a DLink G604T.

Took about 2 minutes to set it up, wireless signal is strong (antenna can be unscrewed and a bigger on put on) and I get 40+Mbit and just about full signal strength in the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the wireless unit.

Its plugged directly into the master socket and its showing (connecting at 1Mbit):

US Margin 27
DS Margin 22
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 62

Last rebooted on May 26th and showing the following stats:

Tx Total Bytes 131653935
Tx Total Error Counts 0
Rx Total Bytes 393849103
Rx Total Error Counts 1.

So all in all I'm happy with it.
Grahamb
Dabbler

New network hardware

Had a Netgear DG834 from May 2004 until March this year, when I passed it on to my daughter and replaced it with a DG834G.

No problems with either.....and will now surely regret saying this if I don't touch some wood pretty darn quick Wink
lyndonp
Grafter

New network hardware

Have had the original Netgear DG834G (now designated V1) for over 2 years - some original bugs in the firmware meant the router rebooted itself every few days but once Netgear sorted the firmware it has been rock solid - no complaints and good coverage throughout the house (and even 2 out 5 bars strength in the back garden through 2 brick walls- router is in front little bedroom!). Some neighbours have told me they can also spot it a few houses down either side - fortunately it is secure :lol:

(Using ADSL Nation XF-1e filters on - expensive but seem to do the job)
N/A

New network hardware

I am somewhat biased as my company are Netgear Powershift partners Smiley

However, we have installed shed loads of Netgear kit and find it totally reliable. If it wasnt we wouldnt touch it.

I cant honestly say that we havent seen faulty kit, but on the few occasions that this has been the case, Netgear have been on the ball and from a support perspective, I have found that they put many of their competitors to shame.
N/A

New network hardware

and from a support perspective, I have found that they put many of their competitors to shame.

Wot like Metronet support you mean.... ROFL
steve-m-c

New network hardware

I am somewhat biased as my company are Netgear Powershift partners Smiley

However, we have installed shed loads of Netgear kit and find it totally reliable. If it wasnt we wouldnt touch it.

I cant honestly say that we havent seen faulty kit, but on the few occasions that this has been the case, Netgear have been on the ball and from a support perspective, I have found that they put many of their competitors to shame.

From someone else who's company is a Powershift partner, the DG834 stuff is brilliant for home use, but it can get a bit confused if you run a bunch of VPNs through it (I've a feeling it hasn't got the processing power to rewrite the packet headers quickly enough when you've got a lot of VPN traffic).

It's fine for home use, or for a remote site VPN endpoint though. Plus, the web interface is nice and friendly. Got to say that Draytek is brilliant too, but it does cost more (I've got a Draytek Vigor 2800 at home).