cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New modem solved by unusable adsl max due to low snr margin

N/A

Like others here i went through huge problems since being moved to the max dsl product. Basically 8 days of no internet. My modem could not sync with the line.

I am on a line 3.5 km from the exchange, tested by BT at Line attenuation-45db, signal noise ( margin) 19.5db downstream. I had been on the 2mb service, getting anything from 700kb - 1.7 mb speed, but with a stable connection.

After regrade I could not connect with my ADSL nation X ethernet modem CE. I did a lot of research online thru my dial up which took hours. I came across 3 modems / routers that were recomended as being good for very low quality snr ( margin ) lines.

I bought the Westell 6301 ADSL ethernet Router from www.twang.net. £49.00 + vat. Ordered it at noon, arrived by courier before 9 am next day. Set it up and voila internet access. It synched immediately. My line stats from the Westell system check are Line attenuation - 48db, SNR ratio ( margin ) - 5.1 to 7.0. My connection has been rock solid for the last 24 hours. My speed tested at 2.2 mb.

This modem also gives more accurate line stats than the X modem which was around 5 db off the mark, compared to BT test done in my home by the engineer. The Westell seems to be around 2mb off the true figures.

I got the help on the low line quality and the 3 adsl routers that help from- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Try my solution as it may well work, it is always good to have a 2nd router as back up and hey you could always return it does not help.

Smiley
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Unable to find any information on three good routers on that link.
Can you either advise models or provide a link
N/A

Here is an extract from the link.

-Depending upon the severity there are different things you can try:-

- Routers are known to provide a more stable connection than usb modems and the purchase of an adsl router has done the trick for some.
The Netgear DG834 and Westell 6100 are 2 routers that have been known to maintain a more stable connection on a low SNR line. The D-Link DSL-G604T has also been reported* to successfully stabilise a low SNR line which was about to be declared as incapable of supporting adsl.

Hope it may help,
Gareth.
N/A

DG834

When we upgraded to broadband I bought the DG834 - it has been a wonderfull piece of kit and I have had no problems with it at all.