cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation probs - anyone had an experience like this?

N/A

Since BT lifted the distance limits for broadband, I signed up with Plusnet a week or so ago. On Monday I had an email from Plusnet saying my line was now ADSL ready and recieved my USB modem from them in the post. However, I just can't get a conection. The hardware has been tried on 2 PC's and I tried all the things that Plusnet asked me to. They said it would be passed to BT and someone would call me back. Later that day I called back and they said it had not been passed to BT as they needed to ask me some questions - which were exactly the same as the ones they asked me already. So they said ok, we will pass it to BT.
Tuesday came without a call so I called them back - "we need to ask you some more questions first before we contact BT". They then ask me the same questions. "ok, we will now pass it to BT".
Later that day, the call goes something like this "We passed it to BT, but they said they would not follow it up until we asked you some questions". Again, they ask me the same damn questions.
Wednesday, "we need to ask some questions before we, or BT, can proceed"... I have been going round and around in this circle for 3 days now. Some in the system eiether just does not care or is incompetent. The line is pretty good and crackle free. I have also tried the line with no phones/faxs etc plugged it, blah, blah, blah.

The fact is no one wants to seem to take responsibility or be bothered in the slightest bit. A bit of reasurance and a decent explanation would go a long way. I am not happy!

I think the internal junction box is a complete mess and it's an old oval type GPO box. That goes to show how old it is as GPO (general post office) is the old name for BT. Must be about 30+ years old. I have repeatedly told them this.
Has anyone else had problems with there junction box which needed to be replaced/fixed for broadband?

Also, does anyone here use a telephone extention cord with thier broadband modem? Any prolems? How long is it?

Also, since having my line ADSL enabled my dial-up connection either often wont connect or is very slow when it does (I have tried it with and without a micro filter). The guy on the phone told me it's my fault as i has the filers set up wrong. I have not and have tried all sorts of ways.

I am paying for a service i am not even getting.

PLEASE Plusnet, will you just get BT out for me to look at my master socket and junction box.

I wish I had just gone direct to BT for my ADSL now Sad Cry
13 REPLIES
N/A

Why not phone BT direct, and report a line fault, get them to upgrade the GPO box whilst they are there. Wink
vic_newey
Grafter

Is your modem light static or flashing ? important point
I had a problem when I first had B/band, simply typed in my user name without adding the dsl so it didn't connect. I also had a lot of dropped connections & crackling line, particularly when it was windy & bt replaced the line from the pole to my house which cured it.
Whilst the engineer was at it he replaced the old junction box & told me that I had the filter set up wrong & that the filter should be fitted straight into the junction box & then it would serve all the extension phones I have around the house & when he had gone I couldn't connect so I put the filters back as before & got an instant connection ! so BT not always clued up on this .
N/A

Hey tell me about it, had the same problem, finished up with a complete new line back to local exchange........................good old BT, it sorted the problem out.
Not had a problem since, 512k connection workin well. Cool
May upgrade in future, when all these current upgrades are sorted
gpsmout
Grafter

what time scale are we talking about? there are about a million or more people wanting BB Adsl over extended reach, so you may have to wait a bit. My experience has been the opposite in terms of customer service, but much the same in terms of the line problems. BT soretd my line probelms out today and I couldnt have asked for a quiker or more efficeient service; ( 2days)

Also if yuo have The Plus Net supplied modem it is not be a fantastic bit of kit. Is it the binatone USB modem? if it wont instal You may have a network card or other piece of kit in your PC that prevents it form working properly. CAn you log into the modem from the web interface? If not turn off any firewall or virus protection software and reinstall th emodem drivers again. It is important with the USB modem to follow the instructions to the letter;
N/A

CAn you log into the modem from the web interface?

How is this done please?
pcorker
Grafter

My extension lead is about 10m
My analogue modem would not work correctly until I put it through 2 stacked filters.
Note that the new modem lead plus extension must only pass through one single filter on its way to the unfiltered main socket. (i.e. if you run your finger along the wire from modem to master socket you should only pass over one filter (small hole)
I think that typing http://192.168.1.2 (or click that) into IE's address bar will connect you to the modem if it wants to talk to you. If your security settings prevent you reaching the page, one fix would be to put that URL in your trusted sites zone on low security.
N/A

That address just times out Huh

Moderators note (John) Full quote of preceding post removed.
pcorker
Grafter

Have you got "Binatone ADSL500 USB Modem Network Interface" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in Device Manager?
I think that is the only place that the modem appears when it is installed. If your browser can't see it at 192.168.1.2, perhaps its not there?
What time out message heading do you get?
N/A

It's a BT Voyager 105.
pcorker
Grafter

Sorry - I guessed wrong!
pcorker
Grafter

But a further thought:
If you look on the installation CD you will probably find an (some) .inf file(s).
If you right click it (them) and select "Open with..." , say, notepad you may find your modem's address buried there.
One way to find it might be to use "Find" and look for "http://" and see if any results have an URL that matches NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN (where N is any number)
That might be your modem's address to substitute for the incorrect one I suggested earlier.
gpsmout
Grafter

Is the modem USB or ethernet? If ethernet have yuo connected using cross over cable; or is the modem router auto sensing?

Have yuo changed connection settings in IE to never dial a connection?

What other equipment / carsd etc are plugged in to the PC? As mentioned before have you turned off all firewalls and Virus software before installing the software? If reinstalling the software for router uninstall from control panel add remove programs then install from control panel add reemove progarms withj all other programs turned off . Check task manager to see what is runnign first.

if afetr all the above you still cant log intot he modem via the browser interface yuo have somehting seriously wrong wit the PC or the modem. You can log intot any ADSL modem and check its status even without the ADSL line being active
Dizzley
Grafter

Try the Voyager 105 User Guide which has troubleshooting. Download it from http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb105/pcsupport.htm. It's a compiled help file.

Pete