Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation problems - help!

phobox
Grafter

New installation problems - help!

Hi all

Having a serious problem getting ADSL to work here. Just installed a Dabs Value Connexant PCI Modem onto my Windows .NET Server. The problem seems to be that the line isnt synching properly. It will work ok for a few seconds, saying 'ADSL Connected' and showing speed information (this is the line status, im not actually logged into my PlusNet account). But then a few seconds later it will say 'Attempting to Activate Line' and be there for a few seconds, then back to 'ADSL Connected'. It will keep changing status every few seconds, i.e. connecting and disconnecting. I tried logging into PlusNet, and it just sits there at Verifying Username and Password for ages, then says the remote computer is not responding. My question is: Is this a line problem, a modem problem, or a PlusNet problem? I doubt its plusnet at fault, and I doubt its the line, but i need to be sure.
Im going to try the modem in a different machine to see if it will work there.

NOTE: I dont currently have a splitter/microfilter installed on the socket the modem is connected to - is this a problem, and would it cause the above symptoms?

Thanks for any help,
Rob Campbell
3 REPLIES
phobox
Grafter

RE: New installation problems - help!

Update:

Tried in a different machine, it works a little better this time. It connected to the line ok, but still gets stuck on verifying username and password. Thing thats strange is the manual for the modem tells how to change the various settings etc, however none of the settings it mentions appear in the software. For anyone with this modem, I goto the AccessRunner control panel and I only have the General tab, I dont have all the other tabs with connection options etc etc. I think thats part of the problem. Have tried reinstalling drivers, but it makes no difference. I think I need a new modem.

Any help is appreciated.
Rob
cookie141
Grafter

> Update:
>
> Tried in a different machine, it works a little better this time. It connected to the line ok, but still gets stuck on verifying username and password. Thing thats strange is the manual for the modem tells how to change the various settings etc, however none of the settings it mentions appear in the software. For anyone with this modem, I goto the AccessRunner control panel and I only have the General tab, I dont have all the other tabs with connection options etc etc. I think thats part of the problem. Have tried reinstalling drivers, but it makes no difference. I think I need a new modem.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Rob

when you throw up the Access runner control panel
Press Alt P it should take you into the settings
phobox
Grafter

Hi there

Got it working in the end. After a lot of swapping in and out of machines, I finally have it working on the Windows.NET Server which is exactly where I wanted it. Its working nicely now, and you're right it was Alt-P.

Thanks,
Rob