cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New download limits!!!!!

N/A

New download limits!!!!!

OK time to open a can of worms.............

Im sure that like many other users of PlusNet I signed up for broadband service before these new "more sustainable" download limits were introduced with the new broadband premier packages, as i had recommended my parents to use the PN service while I lived at home and dealing with the account on behalf of them for a long time (back to the day of home highway!), I signed up for the PN broadband when i moved out, 1 of the main reasons for this was the huge fair useage limit and a reliable service.

Now I feel like they got me by the "short and curlies" so to speak. locked in a 12 month contract and gradually delivering a worse and worse service.
These new download limits are ridiculous!!! and PN are still advertising this as a product "suitable for downloads, gaming and networking" which is wholly
untrue.

I rasied a ticket asking if, since i have no interest in plustalk, i could opt out of that service and gain more bandwidth, of course no came the answer.

Personally I do use a VoIP product called Skype and dont want to be forced into using a more expensive product by my ISP.

What is the point in maxing out the connection speed if you can't use it?
When are they going to realise that the more speed you give people the more they will use it!!!

Great give us the fastest connections possible, with the lowest contention ratios, but also give us the ability to use this amazing high speed service for more than a few days a month.

My other concern with this "new and improved" service is the move away from BT Wholesale to Tiscali. In my opinion (based on feedback from customers of the company i work for installing wireless networks, who were supplying Tiscali wholesale based broadband) they are unreliable and flakey.

I for 1 am becoming a very UNHAPPY PN customer. If I knew this would happen to the service before I signed up, I would have found a different ISP!
I hope that the powers that be in PlusNet read these forums and understand what their customers are saying!

I'm sure that Trading standards, Watchdog and Which! will enjoy reading all the complaints they will be getting from unhappy PlusNet customers.

PlusNet need to listen to their customers and change these ridiculous download limits asap if not sooner!!!!!!
26 REPLIES
Fixes: 115

New download limits!!!!!

Nobody seems to have picked up my rantings about the conflicting details regarding download limits as mentioned in this thread:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42167

At the time I was discussiing Opton 1 but now I am on Option 2 I see that one page states restrictions start at 15GB with total throttling starting at 22.5GB while the other page simply says warnings given at 36GB and restrictions at 45GB!

I have opened a ticket to CS asking them to claify the situation.

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

New download limits!!!!!

i signed up for an unlimited service in january and now have been told that i have a 3gig per month download limit. i do not belive that this is legal and am seeking advice about the matter from trading standards and a consumer advice program.
if anyone has any emails from plusnet advising of changes in the terms and conditions that they made in february/march please would you be kind enogh to forward them to me at simon@4h.com
similarly please contact me if you wish to join my complaint about this unacceptable and possibly illegal treatment.
Alecto
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

No you didn't sign up for an unlimited service in January. Pn were NOT offering unlimited then.

Tiscali are advertising an unlimited service on TV at the moment, and will turf you off without warning as soon as they think you have used too much bandwidth.
shellsong
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

When you signed up, the weasel words for BB+ were something like "you don't have to worry about how much you download"-- this was because PlusNet would manage the relevent protocols out of existence before you downloaded a significant amount! They weren't really telling you it was unlimited.
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

I too am becoming increasingly unhappy with PlusNet as a Broadband ISP - their Customers "Service" is absolutely useless. I have tried using the "Contact Us" ticket system but just get useles answers back, and I have also tried calling their 0845 support number but was kept listening to a recorded message for over 6 minutes before being forced to listen to muzak. I never did get to speak to anyone after 10 minutes of waiting. When I raised a ticket asking for one of their Customer Service managers to call me I erceived a reply saynig that they are an incoming call only call center and don't call out. How's that for Customer Service!!!!

I signed up on Broadband Lite some time ago (shortly after it ceased to exist and became Broadband PAYG, which wasn't a good start). The contention ratio for PAYG was significantly less than 50:1 - either 20:1 or 30:1, can't remember - but definitely less than 50:1 - which is partly the reason I went for that product in the first place. Due to the restricted download limit on PAYG I thought I'd take a look at Broadband Plus since that claims to have "up to a possible 50Gb per month". What the heck does "up to a possible" mean!?!?!? When I raised a ticket asking for clarification about the contention ratio for Broadband Plus I was told that they no longer use contention ratios, but instead use a fair usage network traffic management policy to manage their connections. However in the same breath they also say that there will be a £14.99 fee to move between PAYG and Plus because these products have different contention ratios.

Come on PlusNet - get your act together, or you will be losing a lot of very disgruntled customers very quicly to the likes of new "friendly" Broadband providers like TalkTalk... You seem to have forgotton that your initial success was based on the fact that your customers were happy with the service they were paying for. Cry Cry
Dizzley
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

Tiscali are advertising an unlimited service on TV at the moment, and will turf you off without warning as soon as they think you have used too much bandwidth.

I have just raised a complaint at the Advertising Standards Authority www.asa.org.uk:

Tiscali advertise unlimited broadband starting at £14.99. This is declared several times at full screen. It is clear that they do not offer unlimited broadband as they will curtail your service if you are a heavy user. This is misleading.

Other ISPs have removed their claims of unlimited broadband when they offer a similar service as Tiscali. I contend that Tiscali know very well that this claim is misleading and continue to broadcast their advertisements.

I am not a Tiscali customer.

Best regards...

If you see similar ads for Tiscali or other ISPs claiming unlimited service - why not complain yourself?
danep
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

Hi all

Well are Plusnet Listening? WE NEED HIGHER GIGABYTE LEVELS OR WE ARE OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE. 50GB should be minimum and the prices should increase from there. No point having faster broadband if you cant use it!

Are you planning to increase these levels Plusnet? If not let us know so we can be off and happy elsewhere.

If you are please let us have a hint......

Regards
Dane
P.S some of my clients who I reccomended to Plusnet are also asking me to find an alternative supplier for them...this is not good...
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

Well i'm astonished. I have had my speed upgrade for a few days now. Having just completed my first weekend of enjoying the new speeds using p2p, surfing and dowloading game demos, I appear to now have a restricted peak time service. Oh deep joy! So four days after having faster speeds, I now have diddly squit once more. The most annoying thing of all is, I have used less bandwidth then I have previously used before PN changed my product. Now I have to wait 3 weeks til the next billing date before I get the faster speeds again by which time I shall be dying for more high speed action and undoubtedly will have the same issue next month.

So far this month (billing date the 5th) I have used 11.69GB at peak times, nearly 15GB at off peak times. My highest ever was in the region of 30GB in a month.

As mentioned above, what do PN expect will happen with these higher speeds? Especially now there is more live tv streaming, bigger better websites, higher quality images and videos, bigger game downloads etc etc.
And what will happen when the speeds go even higher!!!?? I dread to think!

Over the last year or so on my original product I was using less than 50% of my usage allowance most months so in fact paying for bandwidth I wasn't even using. This is the first month i've come close to the limit, the first month i've reached the limit and the first time i've ever had my usage restricted.

If it has to be this way, then how about I get my unused bandwidth rolled over to the following month on the occasions that I do not exceed the new 'lower' usage limits? Just As you would get with many mobile phone contracts' inclusive minutes and texts that rollover. At the end of the day it's all paid for so why should PN take it back at the end of each month just because I haven't used it yet? Surely you can't get fairer than giving me what i've paid for.

Just when I thought things were going smoothly again, the truth about this new system rears it's ugly head. I'm paying the same amount of money for for a lower bandwidth allowance and reaching it faster because of the higher speed. Has anyone actually thought this through?? It seems like bandwidth is becoming as unaffordable as petrol when it wasn't so long ago I didn't even know what bandwidth was.

Sorry for the length of this post but really, the view my usage page!! LMAO!!
So there's no warning you're about to be restricted, it just happens and you only know when you log in to plusnets portal and have a look at 'my usage'.
It would at least be half decent to be warned you're getting close to being restricted, or even an email letting you know you have been restricted instead of first thinking ther;s a problem either with your service or your computer hardware etc.

What a joke, I feel like a naughty schoolboy!!
Have you seen the exclamation mark!!

And the text:

Important Notice - you have used 10GB of your allowance.
You have exceeded 66% of your allowance. This usage includes any downloading and uploading during peak-times (4pm till Midnight).
Action: Level 1 Management will apply to your peak-time usage until the end of the billing month. Please avoid exceeding 12.5GB or further management will be applied.

I'm not happy. Sad
danep
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

Hi Woodley

Thanks for that post. This is the problem everyone is going to have and Plusnet seem to have their heads stuck in the sand about it. Your experience is what Plusnet should be looking at and fixing. The Bandwidth allocations must go up or Plus is dead in the water. Legal P2P is now starting with Warners signing a deal, and IP TV is just starting. Also high quality streaming media and progressive media is now available. Take a look at the HD quicktime and Divx trailers out there. Amazing quality. But alas, with Plusnet they will be viewable for only 4-10days of the month lol....

4 days to use up the meagre bandwidth we are given is appalling.

Ace Internet are giving an unlimited (true unlimited), Nildram is giving 50GB minimum. AOL is giving unlimited(with fair usage) . Why is Plusnet so far behind the bunch.

Regards
Dane
keithcalder
Grafter

New download limits!!!!!

They did the same to me stating I had reached 10GB when I'm on Premier Option 2 which has an initial limit of 15GB.

I pointed this out to them and this was acknowledged, however the cap remained in place for a further 4 days ( despite being told it was to be removed) until the end of my months billing cycle. To top this, my banwidth is still strangled during peak times and they are taking over 2 days to respond to the ticket I opened on may 10th.

To top this, I spent 30 minutes trying to get through on the phone, just to be told "Sorry, I cant help you, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR A RESPONSE TO THE TICKET"Huh? WhatHuh Evil

Where are they getting these numpties on the helplines from and why do they assume that the customer is always wrong or that they must have done something on their pc to cause the problem??
Evil

At this point I am considering leaving Plusnet and going elsewhere, mind you it may be that I will struggle to get my mac code as well..
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

its funny that as soon as the sevice degrades loads of people come to the forum to complain, and yet, if they had been here over the last two years they would have seen this comming (as I did :p) tis a shame that everyone is now getting disgruntled with PN, but what is more of a shame is the percentage of the PN customers that are still totaly unaware of how pathetic the service is.. maybe we should all get together and pay for an add during Lost or somit on chan4 Smiley

PS : when i signed up it WAS unlimited :p (yay for being an old customer)
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

does anyone know where I can find out what the different level of restrictions means, level 1 ,2 and 3? I have looked around the site and click on the link under view my usage. Also the graph of my usage show now relation to the figures eg 300M of email usage shows up as nearly 3 GB on the graph
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

You need to go here:
https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
Then select the product type in the drop down list and the info will magically appear. Cheesy
N/A

New download limits!!!!!

there is nothing listed for broadband plus as far as levels are concerned, or is it just a flat 3 gb?