cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - Router Information please.

N/A

Hello, I've just signed up for the 1meg Easy Start All-in Router included deal. The first payment is due out of my bank on Wednesday 11/02, so I thought I'd check out any info on the website about which router I'll be isssued with.

I must say now that, having used a Linksys BEFSR81 router with my previous cable connection, I was absolutely dismayed at the amateurish GUI's and lack of functionality available with ANY of the routers you seem to supply now, or in the past. The PDF file for the Solarwise 110 is absolutely atrocious, could have been written in Japanenglish, and doesn't give any meaningful information for someone who has a home network to connect via the router. What about Port Forwarding? What about setting up a DMZ? What about Port Triggering? Does this router include a DHCP server? Why does it have to connect to a switch via a crossover cable? If none of these functions are available, what about front-ending it onto a router that does have all these functions available.....my trusty Linksys, for example?

If the Solarwise or any other router you intend to supply me with does not carry these functions, then HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!! I'll change my subscription deal and buy my own ADSL Modem and stick with my Linksys.

This could be the first 'Unsatisfactory' I've come across with PlusNet......I hope it's the last, but it is a BIG unsatisfactory, I expect a router that does the job, the whole job and not just part of the job.

Please, someone respond before the 11th February.

Regrades :lol:

Minus0
6 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

Don't know what your cable router did but your generalised coments about ADSL routers do not seem to be very well researched.

My own experience is of the SOLWISE SAR110 (now replaced by the 130). If you were to go to the Solwise web site you can find out a lot more. The manuals are also available for download. Similar facilities are available on most of the manufacturor's sites

Roland
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: New User - Router Information please.

I must say now that, having used a Linksys BEFSR81 router with my previous cable connection, I was absolutely dismayed at the amateurish GUI's and lack of functionality available with ANY of the routers you seem to supply now, or in the past. The PDF file for the Solarwise 110 is absolutely atrocious, could have been written in Japanenglish, and doesn't give any meaningful information for someone who has a home network to connect via the router. What about Port Forwarding? What about setting up a DMZ? What about Port Triggering? Does this router include a DHCP server? Why does it have to connect to a switch via a crossover cable? If none of these functions are available, what about front-ending it onto a router that does have all these functions available.....my trusty Linksys, for example?

Port Forwarding is there
DMZ I guess is there... I'm sure thats what my laptop is in
Port Triggering - no idea what it is
DHCP Server - Yes
It needs to connect to a switch via a cross over cable or an uplink port since it only has one Ethernet port on it.
N/A

You don't seriously expect an all singing all dancing router in an "enough to get you going" package at the price quoted.
From what I gather, the Solwise has most of the features you ask for, just maybe not on a easy Web interface. There is a thread in the Tutorials section of this forum on the Solwise.
I know that it works out cheaper to do "easystart" than "DSL home" (when you take into account the free activation over a year contract) and that is most probably why you chose it, but, if you have a suitable router why moan.
EDIT- Sorry didn't read current router was cable not DSL

If you fly economy, don't expect 1st class treatment.
N/A

Port forwarding is under NAT rules, they are more
complicated to set up on the Solwise, but ultimately
more flexible once you get the hang of things.
There is a DHCP function and DMZ.
It doesn't have UPnP or the QOS features and as you've
realised only one port.
You can set it up in bridge mode to function as a modem
but there is no guarantee that it will be recognised,
by your Linksys router.
Another option is router to router,
by either connecting to one of the Linksys ethernet ports
or uplink port. You could then use the DHCP server and other
functions of your current router and place your routers address in DMZ,
effectively turning the Solwise into a modem.
There is also a method of connecting to the
Linksys WAN port but again this works with a Netgear router
but not sure with Solwise.
I think I your best bet is to double check with Solwise regarding
compatability issues.
Otherwise look at something like the D Link300g+ or similar from Netgear, X Modem (ADSL Nation)
This would be a lot simpler to set up but I would again check with
supplier for compatability, as there are firmware issues , what
works with one doesn't with another, eg I think the X-Modem
doesn't work with all Linksys products.
There is also an ADSL version of your router with built in
modem, getting that and selling on your current unit
might be an option.
Sorry there is no easy answer.
Alec.
N/A

You don't seriously expect an all singing all dancing router in an "enough to get you going" package at the price quoted.
From what I gather, the Solwise has most of the features you ask for, just maybe not on a easy Web interface. There is a thread in the Tutorials section of this forum on the Solwise.
I know that it works out cheaper to do "easystart" than "DSL home" (when you take into account the free activation over a year contract) and that is most probably why you chose it, but, if you have a suitable router why moan.

If you fly economy, don't expect 1st class treatment.

I hope you aren't anything to do with or connected to, or employed by Plusnet, mate, because if I find out you are, I shall stop my Direct Debit right now and go with an ISP with a bit less atittude.
I expect a router that will do the same job as a comparable router for the price I'm paying. It's not the money, it's the ease of someone else doing it all while I'm working.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't add anything more to this thread.

The other replies have been helpful and constructive, even though I've already taken the time to check the Solwise web-site and satisfied myself that this router will do enough, and my Linksys will take up the slack.

And just as an adjunct, I've been in IT since 1970, when it was called Data Processing, I've been in networking for ten years. Your comments sound like those of someone who has had a pc for a hobby for a little while, and learned a few buzz-phrases and snappy one-liners. Please stay out of this thread.
N/A

In which case, you should be familiar with the fact that the internet has prety much all the knowledge you need.

Typing the model number into a few search engines should have easily come up with the manual, for whihc I might add, is a damned lot easier to read than any some other manuals.

He is correct in saying, you shouldn't expect to be getting a all-singing, all-dancing router for an account that is designed to get you going. Otherwise they would be supplying Cisco kit.

You should expect an ISP to provide a product for every eventuality. That is why this is only a special offer, than the normal thing.

I have to say, from your past IT experiance, I am rather shocked to note that have come here with a chip on your sholder.

None of the posts here have been made by any PlusNet staff. You can tell staff apart by there avatar and title above it.

The moto here is. Post on a puvlic forum, expect a public answer.