cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC - Modem or Network Card

N/A

New PC - Modem or Network Card

I have just bought a new pc with a fast ethernet 10/100 network card. My current pc is connected to ADSL via a modem.
I would like to know whether I should just use the modem on my new pc or utilise the network card, taking into consideration the following points.
1) I need to get around 20 Gig of Data off the old pc, I was going to do this by buying a USB Data transfer cable which I believe will transfer around 6 MBPS and costs around £20.00.
2) The old pc is going to go upstairs (kids room) and I would still like it to have access to ADLS (there is a phone point)
3) I dont really want to have to run cables from downstairs to upstairs.
4) Is a wireless network a possibility (how expensive?
3) If I don't go the networking route, can I connect to the same phone line using 2 modems? is it just a case of shared bandwith?

I hope I have give you enough information on what I want, and thank you in advance for any advice.

Mark
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: New PC - Modem or Network Card

Hmm - quite a few questions to be answered here Smiley I'll do my best to work through them. Now the USB data transfer option would work OK providing you have the right software (something like Laplink would work nicely), but it would be somewhat slow - to be honest I'd would either install a second ethernet card in the old PC and link them up using a crossover ethernet cable, or (if you know how to do it) temporarily transplant the old hard drive into your new PC (that would be a much faster way of transferring such large quantities of data).
Now I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's possible to run 2 ADSL modems off the same line (I assume your upstairs phone point is an extension off your main line) although I run my PC and ADSL modem/router off an extension cable (but it is the only PC in the house) - I'll have to do some research on that.
The wireless option is possible, but it won't be cheap I'm afraid - you'd need both a combined modem/router like I have (The D-Link DSL504) and a wireless networking kit that includes a hub and 2 wireless NICs (which probably wouldn't give you a great deal of change from £300). It would be much cheaper to use a modem/router and a pair of network cards; however there would be some cabling involved with this as you'd need to run some Cat5 ethernet cable to the second PC from the router.

Hope this is useful

Gary Mc

N/A

Get the data off the old pc by using Ghost or puting the drive in the new pc and coping it across it wont take very long.

You cant connect two modems it simple wont work. Both conection would have the same ip for one thing but one would kill the other one anyway.You could use one at a time if you uplug the other one.

Cabling is by far the cheapest and best way and with a thin Cat5 cable its easy to hide. you may as well buy a wirless adls router if you are going wirless as it would be cheaper in th elong run but they are about £300 http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/alcatel_stpw.asp

A router is better than a modem in that it does a NAT so protects you a bit. Your ip on the internet could be 212.131.112.33 but you pc would be 10.0.0.1 so any hackers attacking you only get the router not the pc. The £300 router has a bult in firewall as well. A modem makes your pc the same ip as the internet so hackers can attack your pc see my page http://www.mwright.plus.com/drivec.htm for firewalls

Compared with a stadard router about£100 or less and £20 for cable wirless is dear.

> I have just bought a new pc with a fast ethernet 10/100 network card. My current pc is connected to ADSL via a modem.
> I would like to know whether I should just use the modem on my new pc or utilise the network card, taking into consideration the following points.
> 1) I need to get around 20 Gig of Data off the old pc, I was going to do this by buying a USB Data transfer cable which I believe will transfer around 6 MBPS and costs around £20.00.
> 2) The old pc is going to go upstairs (kids room) and I would still like it to have access to ADLS (there is a phone point)
> 3) I dont really want to have to run cables from downstairs to upstairs.
> 4) Is a wireless network a possibility (how expensive?
> 3) If I don't go the networking route, can I connect to the same phone line using 2 modems? is it just a case of shared bandwith?
>
> I hope I have give you enough information on what I want, and thank you in advance for any advice.
>
> Mark

N/A

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think on your advice I will install a second ethernet card in the old pc and run a cable between them. This brings a few more questions though:confused:
1)To just transfer data I only need a crossover cable right?(not a cat5) not too bothered about the time as i will just leave it overnight.
2)Do I need to get a combined router/modem or just a router?
3)Once I connect them through the router,(with cat5 cable?) is the crossover cable redundant?
4) and if so, can I do without the crossover cable and just transfer the data through the cat5 cable?
N/A

Hi,

> I think on your advice I will install a second ethernet card in the old pc and run a cable between them.

Run a cable between them? Get the Router, you'll just plug both PC's into the ADSL Router/Modem/Hub and you'll have a network!! (assuming you get a Router with more than one Ethernet port). If you are in a hurry then a short crossover is very cheap, I think even PC World do them. It won't take long to transfer at 100mbit.

> 1)To just transfer data I only need a crossover cable right?(not a cat5) not too bothered about the time as i will just leave it overnight.

If you get the ADSL Router/Modem/Hub first you won't need to have a crossover cable. By-the-way Cat-5 refers to the quality of the cable, not if it is straight or crossover Wink

> 2)Do I need to get a combined router/modem or just a router?

ADSL combined Router/Modem with at least 4 Ethernet ports will do nicely...

> 3)Once I connect them through the router,(with cat5 cable?) is the crossover cable redundant?

See my point about not needing a crossover.

> 4) and if so, can I do without the crossover cable and just transfer the data through the cat5 cable?

That is correct, you will have a Local Area Network running at 10/100mbit at that point, no crossover required.

I've looked at wirless, too expensive at this time, my set-up is 3 100mbit PC's plugged into a cheapo 10/100mbit hub which is plugged into an ASUS AAM6000EV from www.solwise.co.uk

The ASUS is great but old now (only 1 ethernet port), there are better routers with more than one port now.

Speak to Solwise, they will advise you.

Hope this helps.

Ed.
N/A

As far as Router suggestions go, I'd recommend the one I'm using - the D-Link DSL 504. Very reasonably priced, has 4 10/100 ethernet ports and an absolute doddle to set up (I just plugged it in, entered the necessary connection info from PlusNet, and I was online) - you also get firewall capabilities built into it. A second NIC won't cost much (you can get decent ones for around a tenner - I picked a good quality second user 3Com 905B up from my local computer fair for £Cool and 10 metres of decent Cat5 ethernet cable won't be that much more either. Once you get the router and both PCs set up, you should then be able to see both in Network Neighbourhood on either PC, so transferring the data will be simple and won't take that long. And of course both PCs can then take advantage of your ADSL link.

Cheers

Gary Mc
N/A

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I am now going to start looking for another network card, a router (4 port) and around 5 mtrs of ethernet cat5 cable (straight up through the ceiling!!)
I may well be on again if I run into any difficulty setting it up :deadhead:
Thanks
Mark