cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Month, what's going on?

N/A

So my new billing month just started and my usage is currently at 1.98GB, yet my P2P speeds are STILL being cut. I'm on 512k broadband premier. So this should apply:

"Applications such as peer-to-peer file-sharing, Usenet and FTP, can take up significant capacity on our network when used for long periods and in peak hours. For this reason we manage the usage of these applications and recommend that you schedule any large downloads for off-peak hours (00:00-08:00).

To reward light and moderate usage of these applications, each Broadband Premier up to 2Mb customer gets up to 20GB of clean peer-to-peer, USENET and FTP usage each month before any management is applied. "

Aside from becoming nocturnal, what's the solution?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It can take upto 2 days for your traffic management profile to be reset as explained in many other threads where this same question has been asked.

Even after it is reset, you still won't get a 'clean' allowance as far as speeds are concerned as the many posts on that subject indicate.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Peter, however can I just point out that this contradicts what Plusnet say?

To reward light and moderate usage of these applications, each Broadband Premier up to 2Mb customer gets up to 20GB of clean peer-to-peer, USENET and FTP usage each month before any management is applied. "

Even after it is reset, you still won't get a 'clean' allowance.

So Plus Net are infact, lying?
N/A

I too should today have restarted my clean allowance. but have only got 512 speeds on a 2 mb connection.

are you saying that my speeds won't come back up?Huh
N/A

Hi Peter,

Can you claifiy what you mean by your statement?

Even after it is reset, you still won't get a 'clean' allowance as far as speeds are concerned as the many posts on that subject indicate.

Is this because of the normal traffic management that occurs during peak hours or something else?
N/A

my speeds are still slow on p2p traffic i.e. no more than 50kB/s my peak usage (8am - 12am) usage is less than 1GB.

so it does seem as if all p2p traffic is being managed all the time.
N/A

Aaron,

I am sure you have read about these here boards and have come across the relevant threads.

I cannot explain Peters statements or thoughts but I would think it has something to do with a lot of users soffering the same as Tony in THIS THREAD here.

Something is or appears to be happening where by the speed of P2P is still restricted when it shouldnt be or so the linked thread above seems to indicate.

There are many more, but I am starting to feel drowsy and I dont fancy my chances at making accurate links if I carry on too much longerWink

Regards,
Community Veteran

Hi Peter,

Can you claifiy what you mean by your statement?

Is this because of the normal traffic management that occurs during peak hours or something else?

Plusnet don't have the BT central capacity to allow full clean speeds to occur for everyone during the day, who is below their 20GB allowance . If they had, why are so many people complaining about usenet & P2P speeds after their profiles have been reset.

I have performed many tests on well seeded torrents (i.e seeds upto 10 * peers with high overall traffic). During the day I get knowehere near to the speeds I get overnight. I have run HTTP download tests and maxed out my connection, doing the same with P2P never maxes out my connection, even if I run multiple torrents in tandem it reaches a certain speed limit and does not go beyond it and it's never upto what my line can take. The HTTP maxing out also eliminates contention at the exchange which is another 'cause' that PN keep insisting on.

This clearly indicates PN are traffic shaping your clean allowance during the day in order to stop the whole lot grinding to a halt. The 'clean' allowance is a myth, it may be better than the peak time management but it is not 'upto line speed' as PN keep quoting.
LiamM
Grafter

Indeed. 20Gb is the limit when user-specific management kicks in, but upto 20Gb isn't totally clean either as general network management is still in effect curbing bandwidth across the network.
N/A

To be honest, I suspected that is what you might have meant Peter, but I want to be sure.

While I can understand the basic need for traffic management and how it can improve the service for all, I feel the effects at the moment even at the pre 20GB limit are too much.

I used to download at lot, but now I generally stay under 20GB but I was recently shocked by speeds during the day which were between 5-9kb/s on a well seeded torrent, which later picked up to around 50 or so after midnight.
If that's the normal "clean" traffic management, I'd hate to even consider what level 1, let alone level 4 would do.

So does this mean, PN spare capacity is no longer there? what is going to happen when higher speeds come along?
N/A

At a guess I would say when the higher speeds come along people will probably buy them from an ISP capable of supplying those speeds, there are now quite a few ISP's which are clearly offering packages without "Management" or "Fair Usage Policies" or "Limits" or whatever other term you like to use for the limits on most other "unlimited" products.

Such real services that actually provide you with an appropriately sized bit stream and tell you to get on with it (as broadband should be sold) are however usually slightly more expensive, I have heard BlackCatNetworks, MetroNet and Zen as 3 providers who say they can offer this.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
firmager
Grafter

It can take upto 2 days for your traffic management profile to be reset as explained in many other threads where this same question has been asked.

OK my usage was reset on the 1st (i.e. 2 days ago) and still my P2P usage is being cut severly, to like nearly not working at all!!!! Evil

This is not just not being a clean allowance, this is plus.net NOT lifting the management they say they WOULD lift!!!
firmager
Grafter

OK 8 days after my usage was supposedly reset, management has still not been lifted and I've seen NO improvements. I've contact plus.net via the "contact us" section and still to no avail!

Any suggestions anyone?!

Any answers plus.net?!
N/A

do you pay via direct debit? if so I have been told it will take upto 2 weeks before they reset it, due to them waiting till they have the payment.
firmager
Grafter

do you pay via direct debit? if so I have been told it will take upto 2 weeks before they reset it, due to them waiting till they have the payment.

Yea but direct debits only takes a max of 5 days to clear anyway.

Also on the contact us service they've noted that on the 1st january my broadband usage was reset!!....WHICH IT WASN'T!!!!!