cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation

N/A

New Installation

Just received my starter pack as a complete Broadband novice, and have failed at the starting post. I am awaiting a new high spec PC, but thought that I would see how it worked on my old 233. Though I have connected the Binatone modem correctly, and have installed the drivers, once I click on the Binatone icon it fails to go into the installation screen, and eventually comes up as a IE program error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a couple of times but to no avail, and have changed the LAN settings as per the instructions. I am using Windows 98 and to be honest haven't updated anything for a long time. Any advice?... Sad
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

New Installation

Windows 98 what: 1st edition or SE. The new Binatone ADSL 500 drivers will only work on Win98SE.
N/A

Re: New Installation

Just received my starter pack as a complete Broadband novice, and have failed at the starting post. I am awaiting a new high spec PC, but thought that I would see how it worked on my old 233. Though I have connected the Binatone modem correctly, and have installed the drivers, once I click on the Binatone icon it fails to go into the installation screen, and eventually comes up as a IE program error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a couple of times but to no avail, and have changed the LAN settings as per the instructions. I am using Windows 98 and to be honest haven't updated anything for a long time. Any advice?... Sad

Hi Mark
I have also had the same problem. cannot open the page when I am online. I also have windows 98. Unfortunately for us, the new modem which they started sending out January is the one with 3 lights. When I viewed the requirements needed for installing a modem it showed I needed windows 98 or higher. Alas this seems to be a problem since they started using the newer version of binatone modem. I do not think people were aware of this until recently. Even using my windows 98 cd-rom which it asked for it could not find a lot of dll files which it wanted. I had to restart my computer when it had installed drivers but then like you got no further.
It is very frustrating. I had this happen to me on Wednesday 18 February.
I do not like udating windows as it caused a problem for me last time I did this.
The only advice I got from the forum was to get windows 98 se or buy a router.
the se edition is too expensive almost like buying a modem. I think I may have to buy a modem which is okay with windows 98.
Sals :?
N/A

New Installation

If you have to buy another modem, always go the ethernet modem/router route (excuse the pun) if you can afford it.
N/A

New Installation

Hi

I have been looking at the ethernet/router modems but am confused by the different ones available and they do not seem to be very cheap. I have already had to pay out over £40 plus my fee for monthly payment for something I cannot even use yet. Please would you give me some advice about what to buy as I am new to all of this. I found dabs.com were good for prices as they have an adsl usb modem dabs value for under £20. nickknows is another site where there is a binatone modem router for just under £50. I was told I would need a network card to put in the pc if I went for router.
Thank you

Sals :?
N/A

New Installation

Yes, modem routers are not as cheap as USB modems and you do need a network card. However, the are independant of Operating system. Do not need and drivers and will allow more PC's /XBox's to be added to the DSL network later. Good ones also have varying degrees of firewall biult in.
You do need a network card in your PC (about £10)
This one is new on the market and has 4 ports, and firewall - good spec.
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=96221
N/A

New Installation

Hi

Thank you for the web address you gave me. I have logged it and looked at it. Looks good and great price. Shame the postage adds up the cost so much. Where do I get a network card from? Would not know what I am looking for or even how to put it in my pc.

Sals Smiley
N/A

New Installation

N/A

New Installation

lo,you can get network /lan card from any pc shop,you shouldn't pay any more than a tenner for one.you will need a free pci slot inside your pc for it so make sure you have one free before buying.
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/categories/networking/productView.htm?quicklinx=F2T
something along those lines
B&Q warehouses(of all places) carry a range of home networking stock which is fairly resonably priced,you have to be careful of the cable you buy to connect your lan card to router,it is a straight thru cable you require,if you are going to connect to pc's together it is a crossover cable that is needed.
N/A

New Installation

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated. Now all I need is the money to buy them. At least I know where I can get them from and at a good price. Never heard of the company before. I looked at google for information yesterday.

sals Smiley
N/A

New Installation

For note: Scan and Dabs are within 3 miles of each other.
Scan are nearly always the cheaper and have no credit card surcharge.