cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation + Pci Modem = Problems

N/A

New Installation + Pci Modem = Problems

Got my pci modem earlier and have been having problems with it for 4 hours straight. It connects fine, but then after approximately a minute the connection drops and reconnects again (quite quickly).. I've searched the forums and cant find any helpful info... Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: New Installation + Pci Modem = Problems

lo there does ur modem drop after it has connected the second time,i have a sar310 at the minute,it will disconnect then reconnect every time the pc is booted i think this is just a self diagnostic procedure

N/A

> lo there does ur modem drop after it has connected the second time,i have a sar310 at the minute,it will disconnect then reconnect every time the pc is booted i think this is just a self diagnostic procedure
>
>

No it drops after every connection, it will connect, seems to be working fine (downloading at 58k), then in the status tray it will show that it has disconnected...

It is an A220
N/A

can u do a diagnostic on ur modem,r/click on the system tray icon,and r u using the g.dmt mode in ur configuration.try everything u can b4 u raise a ticket in the contact us.also r u using filters on all the phones and try un plugging all phones from there sockets as well.
N/A

> can u do a diagnostic on ur modem,r/click on the system tray icon,and r u using the g.dmt mode in ur configuration.try everything u can b4 u raise a ticket in the contact us.also r u using filters on all the phones and try un plugging all phones from there sockets as well.
>

No phones, no filters, although it is plugged in using an extension wire... Yeah i'm using G.dmt mode, no matter what mode i try, same problem..
N/A

Hiya,
Normaly, if you select ANSI as the modulation type, the problem will go away!!.

Are you using XP??

Steve

:confused:
N/A

> Hiya,
> Normaly, if you select ANSI as the modulation type, the problem will go away!!.
>
> Are you using XP??
>
> Steve
>
> :confused:

I changed the modulation to ANSI, i hear a 'ding' to tell me that the Modem has connected to adsl (but the actual connection isnt connected eg. The dial up connection part). Then after about a minute, i hear another 'ding' to tell me the modem has disconnected from ADSL, this is very frustrating...

I'm using Windows 98...
N/A

> > Hiya,
> > Normaly, if you select ANSI as the modulation type, the problem will go away!!.
> >
> > Are you using XP??
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > :confused:
>
> I changed the modulation to ANSI, i hear a 'ding' to tell me that the Modem has connected to adsl (but the actual connection isnt connected eg. The dial up connection part). Then after about a minute, i hear another 'ding' to tell me the modem has disconnected from ADSL, this is very frustrating...
>
> I'm using Windows 98...

Is it a Conexant modem? if so, do you know what version of drivers you are using? Have you raised a ticket??

Steve
N/A

> Is it a Conexant modem? if so, do you know what version of drivers you are using? Have you raised a ticket??
>
> Steve
>

Its a dynamode a220 but i think it uses a conexant chip...

driver S/W version 4012.099.040.000, 2.25, v099.040 (u02)

Havent raised a ticket (dont know what that is)...
N/A

>
> > Is it a Conexant modem? if so, do you know what version of drivers you are using? Have you raised a ticket??
> >
> > Steve
> >
>
> Its a dynamode a220 but i think it uses a conexant chip...
>
> driver S/W version 4012.099.040.000, 2.25, v099.040 (u02)
>
> Havent raised a ticket (dont know what that is)...

Well, it may be worth trying the latest drivers, you can get them here
http://themad-house.co.uk/conexant/DOWNLOAD/dabsADSL%204012.099.050.000%20-%20Win%2098%20-2000%20-%2...

If you want to raise a ticket, which is like asking for help from plusnet, under support on the left side of the screen, click contact us, then new query. Then just follow the wizzard.

Hope that helps ya and you manage to get it working soon!.
Going to bed now, but will check and see how you are doing in the morning.

Steve..
N/A

lo again forgot to mention if you tried bt to do a line test as well,though its starting to sound like it could be a problem in your exchange,if so u will need to raise a ticket thru contact us.but as i said b4 check everything u can first cause this is the first thing plusnet will ask you,good luck

N/A

One thing...do you have a scanner connected? If so i would uninstall it or at least remove the program that monitors it because scanner monitoring programs peform a local port scan (COM,LPT) every few seconds and this can be known to cause disconnections.
N/A

I have no scanner...

I've installed the new drivers, it stays on for alot longer (5 minutes) but still disconnects...

I dont really know what to do now...
N/A

> I have no scanner...
>
> I've installed the new drivers, it stays on for alot longer (5 minutes) but still disconnects...
>
> I dont really know what to do now...

just a question

is it about the same time each time b4 it dissconnects, if so, just go look in modem properties i think default settings have a timeout if not being used, and usually its about 4 or 5 minutes, and u can set it at never dissconnect.
that maybe your problem.
N/A

Barbara - I have a very similar set-up (Windows98/PlusNet-supplied A220 PCI modem) and a similar problem, which I am currently trying to get PlusNet to help me with through their 'ticket' system.

My problem is that my connection drops, then automatically reconnects about 5 seconds later, randomly whenever I am online (day or night). There is no pattern to this - sometimes I can go for 30 minutes without it happening and other times it can happen every 1 - 2 minutes which is obviously very frustrating !!

They have so far suggested changing the modulation settings and disabling ZoneAlarm (firewall) and anti-virus software (in fact, I've tried disabling all unnecessary processes) but to no avail. I've tried unplugging phones and swapping phone extensions too.

Let me know if you solve the problem and I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.

Could it be a dodgy modem do you think ?! (They did send me dodgy filters !)

Mike.

P.S. www.adslguide.org is a very useful site - check out the forums for similar problems (they have a PlusNet forum too !)

> I have no scanner...
>
> I've installed the new drivers, it stays on for alot longer (5 minutes) but still disconnects...
>
> I dont really know what to do now...