cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection

Dareyn
Dabbler

New Connection

Hiya all n everyone, don't know if anyone can offer me some help.
Just recieved my starter pack, Binatone ASDL500 etc etc.
The problem I'm having is that when I select the Binatone login icon on my desktop, it tells me that it cannot display the selected webpage.
I've done everything by the book (the cheaply photocopied sheet of paper).
Plus Net have asked me to contact Binatone to see whether they can help, but I cant get hold of them.
I have both the power light and the ASDL light on but nothing is happening.
:?
34 REPLIES
N/A

New Connection

Hi
Is the binatone modem shown up in the control panel under systems system properties device manager. scroll down to network adaptors and it should show up there. I had same problem and there were yellow?s there which means the device is not working. I have windows 98 and it needs win 98 se to work. Hope you get it all up and running soon.
Sals
Dareyn
Dabbler

New Connection

Thanks Sals
At least you replied but the problem's still there.
I've been in converse with Binatone who are trying to help.
What doesn't help is that I've been theoretically up and running since last Friday but I haven't as you can see.
Cheers
pcorker
Grafter

New Connection

You have not given us much to go on, Karatedo!
Version of windows, is the network adaptor there, number of lights on modem, have you uninstalled and reinstalled, other USB devices plugged in, does binatone appear in add/remove, other modem still active, never connect selected in connections etc. filters checked
Best of all have you done searches on the forum for previous posts?
Pat.
Dareyn
Dabbler

New Connection

Sorry, I know I haven't helped much on the info front.
Shockedops:
Win XP, Network adaptor is there, 3 lights on modem, the power and the adsl are both on but other than a quick flash when the adsl light stays on there seems to be no life in the data light. I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 6 times now, there are other usb devices in but i did try while they were disconnected. Binatone is in add/remove, Other modems, I've tried disabling and removing. Never connect isn't selected in the connections. Filters checked yes. And I've search forum as best as i can. I've checked my ipconfig and had it confirmed that's how it should be.
I had hoped it was gonna be a really easy problem to sort out but unfortunately it doesn't seem that way.
When double clicking on the binatone icon on desktop it places http://192.168.1.2 in address but it wont connect. I've tried synchronising too but it wont do that saying there is no response.
Thanks for giving me a look in though it is much appreciated.
Darren
N/A

New Connection

lo,have you tried to manually set up an internet connection?conrol panel/connections/setup.xp wont use your new connection untill you tell it to.
pcorker
Grafter

New Connection

Yes, you have been pretty thorough - and have obviously spent a lot of time on the problem.

I think that "never connect" should be SELECTED so that it prevents the dialup side of things trying to assert itself.

Also, you could download and use DrTCP to set your MTU to 1472 and Rwin to 17184. (In the unlikely event that these are way out)

I don't hold out much hope with these!

Remember that as you go from the back of the modem to the wall socket you should only go through ONE filter, if any, and that should be to its LITTLE socket.

However, you really seem to have turned most of the stones...

Pat.
Dareyn
Dabbler

New Connection

Thanks to all and everyone for trying to help.
I'll keep trying.
:?
Perhaps one day I may be lucky and be able to use what I'm paying for. :roll:
N/A

New Connection

Hi
I know how you feel. I was connected Tuesday 17 Feb and my modem arrived on 18 Feb but would not work with win 98, so I bought another modem for win 98 and the computer could not communicate with device. Still paying for something I cannot use. Very frustrating. Good thing I still have my dial up sevice which I also pay for monthly. As my computer is not near to a bt socket I cannot just plug the modem in it to try it out either. Thought it would be easy to change over to broadband service but apparently not. When I get a new computer I shall go for router all in one that someone recommended in the forum. Will be a couple of months yet though. Hope you get it all up and running soon.

Sals :?
pcorker
Grafter

New Connection

Sals
You really ought to upgrade to 98SE
So long as you have a 95 or 98 disc its pretty effortless
SE upgrade discs can be bought cheaply (everyone in the world bar me just borrowed someone else's!)
MS is supporting it for 2 more years
Probably cheaper than a new modem!
Pat
N/A

New Connection

Hi pcorker

I did look at getting win 98se cd but when I checked the price it was over £65. I can get my all in one router for less than that. Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper than that please.

many thanks.

Sals
N/A

New Connection

I am having the same problem I just cant get http://192.168.1.2 it trys to dial and wont show the webpage. Tried setting it to never dial etc but it still trys even with no dialup set.

Can you ping the modem ie ping 192.168.1.2.

What ip is the modem giving you(ipconfig /all)?

It gave me one in the 168 range I tried manualy seting the usb network card to 192.168.1.1 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.2.

You may want to try this I set the subnet to 255.255.0.0 but didnt have time to try other subnet like 255.255.255.0. I have seen other daft network thing which give dhcp in the wrong range so you cant get to them.

Have you tried a diferent browser ie Opera as I think the problem is with IE.

Could it be the modems are broke when did you get yours I wonder if there is a bad batch.
Dareyn
Dabbler

New Connection

Joined up at the same time as yourself and a few other that seem to have had the same problem.
Tried everything suggested by Binatone with no joy.
I still think its the modem but they wont admit to it obviously.
they keep blaming how I'm setting it up and ie.
Community Veteran

New Connection

With the number of reports of this happening I would suggest a problem with the drivers or the install mechanism that Binatone are using. I would be surprised if local compatibility issues or bad installations would all result in the same problem.

The new Binatone uses a different driver in that it treats the modem as a network device rather than a dial-up modem that the previous drivers did that worked with the 2 light version of the modem.

The more people that report this issue to Binatone the sooner they will realise they have to investigate their software.
pcorker
Grafter

New Connection

I had a problem of the shortcut not connecting, the computer seemed to be trying to use the dialup. (Not sure if thats your prob.)

I removed the dialup adaptor from networking (sorry, I'm on 98SE) and temporarily dragged all the DUNs (connectoids?) out of dial-up networking into a folder - replaced later).
This meant that all options in /Internet options/connections/, were greyed out. Then the connection went through but most of the sequences took several minutes and I cancelled a few times before I realised how slow it was (several minutes) I MAY have used control/F5 to refresh the attempt.

Snag: I am not 100% sure of this as I did a huge number of other things first since I crashed and windows told me to use setup - it was lying and I only had to restore to a previous registry - but I changed/unchanged a huge number of other things finding that out!
Pat
Sals, I paid £40 on Ebay but I am sure that now you should be able to find folk giving them away!