cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection - 10.10.10.xxx is this normal?

N/A

Oh Dear
After a 8 month absence from these forums I am back. I have rented a place in London and needed a monthly connection so have sgned up for a PAYG service.
I thought with all the people that have moved away it would have freshened up here but appears not.

Anyway if anyone could help me with my bother I would appreciate it.
I got my line activated yesterday - I am connecting and syncing with my exchange but I am getting weird Class A (10.10.x.x) addresses which offer no DNS name resolution!

After a lot of CHAP authentication failures I was getting a connection but my host address is changing at every reconnection.

My Wan IP is 10.10.10.xxx/8 subnet mask and a def gateway of 10.10.11.1 which I cannot traceroute or ping .

My cheap and cheerful Belkin router see's everything as connected and I can ping my WAN address but not the DNS servers.
I raised a Question and got a response that as I wasnt officially active I would have to wait which is not the usual response I was expecting.

Anyone tell me why I have a reserved/private IP address range? I saw this once before a couple of years ago and never go to the bottom of it!

Thanks

Suzanne
2 REPLIES
N/A

im intrested in helping you find out why this is too, A little more info would be useful who is your isp, what operating system do you run, where are you getting this ip address from i mean to say from ipconf/all or ifconf or some mac os command or did you get this address from a website you visted sounds to me like the connection is proxyed to me for a start some isp's hide there ip addresses from there customers aol uses proxys which is a pain for some people.
Also with the rise of dns hacking/cracking/spoofing on the rise (last big port to be left unprotected port 53 dns servers port) i have read a few papers on isp's trying to lock these ports but did not know some had already started.
N/A

I am conected to plus net.
I have a router - which is set to receive an IP address from them.
The line is syncing at 4mb which is pleasing as I was told 2mb was the maximum.
I know that 10.x and 174.14 and 192.168.1 are reserved IP ranges so I am confused as to why plus net are sending these out - or maybe its a BT thing?

The protection of DNS servers coulbe be done with a reverse DNS lookup?

My credentials are in the relevant field so I am authenticating ok it appears.

Thanks for the response.

Suzanne