cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BT phone kills ADSL speed

N/A

My wife insisted that we go out and buy a new phone yesterday. Apparently, the old ones were too blue or something...

Anyway. We now have a brand new set of 3 (silver) BT Freestyle 2200 DECT phones and one base unit. Obviously only the base unit plugs into the phone line.

Last night I noticed the Plusnet appeared slow (1Mb account). Speed test were less than 200k (usually 900+ k). I rebooted my router a couple of times to get a new default gateway - no apples. Still as slow as you like.

I checked the router this morning, and noticed that the Signal to Noise ratio was worse than usual. So I disconnected the new phone base unit from the phone line (still plugged into the mains). Suddenly - I'm back to normal.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Is there anything I can do, other than take this phone back to Comet?

Chippy
4 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Apart from telling your wife to stop being paranoid over the color of your phone, try the following :-

1. Make sure you have splitters in every outlet in the house even if they don't have a phone in.
2. Try putting a new splitter where the phone/dsl are connected.
holdtight
Grafter

This has been an issue for some time and take flashasp`s advice
also are you still using the splitters that were provided by +net or
equivalant ?
if so purchasing some quality splitters will help, you can get some
decent ones quite cheaply
Community Veteran

1. Make sure you have splitters in every outlet in the house even if they don't have a phone in.

That is not necessary as it makes no difference. If no phone is plugged in it can't affect the phone line.

@cushwake

Some DECT phones can interfere with ADSL. The solution is to get better quality microfilters and fit them where a phone is connected.

I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter
N/A

Hi cushwake,
I had a similar problem when i had just connected my new ADSL from Plusnet except that I didnt get any phones calls when ADSL was on and vise versa!
I have BT Diverse DECT phones as well.
The filters supplied by Plusnet just didnt do any good for me. So I bought 2 filters from http://www.adslnation.com/ .
I orderd at 3.00pm, and received in the post the folloing morning!
They work perfectly., so my suggestion is to get bettter filters which should help you with your problem.
Hope this heps a bit.