cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 2mb product

zpeterk
Grafter

New 2mb product

Is the new 2mb product at £19.99 the same as the old one with the 20:1 contension or a new different product?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

New 2mb product

All 2Mb connections (home and business) are 20:1 at the moment because there is no 2Mb 50:1 product from BT yet. When IPStream home 2000 does arrive, everyone on broadband home 2Mb is likely to be moved over to it.
N/A

New 2mb product

The way I see it is that all current customers should be left on the 20:1 ratio, whilst new customers are assigned the 50:1. From what i can gather plusnet aren't losing out by continuing to provide 20:1 to existing users.

Consider it an introductory offer. Smiley
N/A

New 2mb product

Amen to that brother Smiley

Moderators note (John) Full copy of preceding post removed. Please do not quote the post just before your reply in full.
Community Veteran

New 2mb product

However, it is being marketed as a 50:1 product like all the other home products (You don't see PlusNet advertising it as 20:1) so it is being treated as a 50:1 product even though they can't actually use IPStream home 2000 yet.

IPStream home 200 is likely to be a cheaper option from BT (like all the other home products are) so that is how I think PlusNet have been costing the product.

This has been discussed in various places and some customers have expressed a wish to remain on 20:1 when the 50:1 product appears and PlusNet may offer an option for people to do that at extra cost. As IPStream Home 2000 may not be available until the end of the year or more likely Q1/2 next year there is a long wait before this decision can be made.
N/A

New 2mb product

Just wondering, what's this "Broadband Home Premier 2Mb (Annual Contract, No Modem) - Original" Original? Does that mean there's gonna be two home 2MB options? Perhaps original = 20:1, new? = 50:1

I hope so anyway. ;]
Community Veteran

New 2mb product

Possibly if PlusNet decide to have a 50:1 and 20:1 2Mb product offering - it may depend on what the demand for 20:1 actually is.

We will have to wait and see but it will be a long wait.
wheelnut
Grafter

New 2mb product

Here is a suggestion!

Leave all the 2Mb Premier customers on 20:1 at the current price, and move all the 2Mb capped customers on to a 50:1 product as they won't notice anyway!

That will save PlusNet a lot of dosh as tthis will reduce the amount of regrade fees they will have to pay BT to increase the contention ratio.

Contention ratios are all a bit of a con anyway, you could get better performance out of a "50:1" contended product on a lightly loaded exchange compared with a "20:1" product on a heavily loaded one..... it all depends on the actual numbers of customers on each product type AND there usage patterns.
N/A

New 2mb product

Very true, 20:1 is supposed to be for business users so what if all 20 are using there lines to the max 24/7?
N/A

New 2mb product

20:1 or 50:1, these are still contended products.

People that take the biscuit, and download 24/7 are in effect, taking there service as if 1:1. As a result, they are paying low low rates of £21.99 for a service that is costing the ISP above £1,000.00 to supply to them.

Yes, above One Thousand Pounds. I have the math if you want it.
lowry
Grafter

New 2mb product

Over on ADSLGuide it seems that there has been discussion about demand for a 2MB 20:1 option aswell as a 50:1 contention option. See this post and this thread.

PlusNet have said that they are currently in the process of revamping the business product line and that there will be new CBC-based products for business users appearing soon. They will probably have 20:1 2MB options for cheaper monthly fees than they have currently.

matt Wink
N/A

New 2mb product

Because of the whole issue with being regreaded from the 20:1 to 50:1 (when available), it has been sugested that PlusNet look into a Home product using 20:1 (not home worker) as well as the new one.

Ian agreed it would be an interesting proposal.

However, the fact remains that BT havn't even released any information about the 2Mb Home product yet, so nobody is in a position to say it if is worth while.
N/A

New 2mb product

So if the 2mb product is available for £19.99 and then you add on the £15 for unlimited bandwidth this costs in effect £35.00 so what is the difference between this product and 2mb homeworker pro which costs at the moment £65 a month as they are both 20:1 contention at the moment?

And what side effects would there be for me if I wanted to transfer from 2mb homeworker pro to the cheaper 2mb connection?

PS: a comment from a plusnet member of staff on this would be appreciated

Cheers Chris
N/A

New 2mb product

The differance is that Home Worker Pro and the new 2Mb, is the pricing structure they where designed on.

Home Worker was designed what is now know as Classic pricing, whilst the new product is based on CBC. Classic is much more expensive, and is which the Home Worker package is so expensive.

It is possible to work out the wholesale cost of the products from the BT price lists.