cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking with ASDL

N/A

Networking with ASDL

I am just up and running today, everything works fine on my own PC. But if I try to use the router to hub to pc, then nothingn works. I have a mini network here and really want help on how to set this up. I did not get a CD with my starter pack, so it has been a bit trickier than I hoped.

Please help with very explicit instructions.

zarah
8 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

Re: Networking with ASDL

I am just up and running today, everything works fine on my own PC. But if I try to use the router to hub to pc, then nothingn works. I have a mini network here and really want help on how to set this up. I did not get a CD with my starter pack, so it has been a bit trickier than I hoped.

Please help with very explicit instructions.

zarah

What hub, what router?

Did you use a cross-over or straight-thru cable bewteen the router and the hub?
N/A

Networking with ASDL

Belkin 5 port hub, Solwise plusnet router, crossover wire when trying to connect from router to hub - crossover from hub to pc. But when router to pc I use straight and that works.
N/A

Networking with ASDL

Hi Sarah,

have you taken a look at our support section. There's plenty of advice on setting up the Solwise router here;
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?B2D81tJt2hQ%3D

and the networking tutorials here might be of use to you:
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?IuoF7co%2FVcM%3D
Lorian
Grafter

Networking with ASDL

Belkin 5 port hub, Solwise plusnet router, crossover wire when trying to connect from router to hub - crossover from hub to pc. But when router to pc I use straight and that works.

Ok, so:

ADSL Cicuit works
Router Works.
Straight cable is ok
PC is ok

The cable from the hub to the PC should be straight not crossover.

If that doesn't help

Try changing the crossover cable from the hub to the router to a straight one as well, just incase you are using an uplink port on the hub (or try a different port if you have no more straight patch cables).

Also, make sure the LAN interfaces on your PC and the Solwise router are set to 10Mbps if the hub does not support 100M.

Jc.
Community Veteran

Networking with ASDL

I am not familiar with the details of the Solwise router but from reading what you are saying then it connects to a PC with a Straight cable.

Normally Hubs also connect to PCs with a straight cable so you put this type between th Hub and the PC.
The hub itself provides a crossover internally between any PCs that are connected to it so that whats come out of the transmit pair from one PC arrives at the Receive wires of other PC's.

So if it's normally a straight cable Solwise to PC then the cable socket on the Solwise already has a crossover built in.
To counter for this you will need to either put a crossover cable between Hub and Solwise (ie crosses it back again) or some Hubs have a special port that is already crossed that you could use with the straight cable.

To Sum up

Crossover cable Solwise to Hub
Straight Cables PCs to Hub.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Networking with ASDL

Handy tip. If you're not sure whether a cable is straight-through or cross-over, hold both ends so you're lookig at them side by side. On a straight-through cable, the wires running from left to right will appear in the same colour order.
N/A

Networking with ASDL

I have been using the solwise SAR110 on my network for some time. Solwise supply a stright cable to go between the router and either the network card on your computer or the "uplink" port on the hub. If you connect the solwise to any other port other than the "uplink" port on the hub you need a crossover cable.

to sum up

Solwise router-->computer= stright
Solwise router-->uplink port on hub=stright
Solwise router-->any other port on hub=crossover.

Hope this helps

David
N/A

Networking with ASDL

Thanks to all who replied, your tips and suggestions were just what I needed. I am now networked, and going great guns.

Ta much

sarah Cheesy