cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking in XP

N/A

Networking in XP

Hopefully someone can assist me, my pc runs with two extractable drives, one running win98se the other xp. Both dial up very nicely, and the win98 version connects up to our other pc on our home network, the xp drive can see the other pc, but wont allow a network connection. Any ideas? Sad
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking in XP

Could be firewall when XP is running?
Community Veteran

Networking in XP

Are you talking about file sharing? Obviously you have a network connection if you can see the other machine.

What version of XP are you using? Pro or home and what Os is running on the other machine?
Is the other machine able to read files on the XP machine or does it not work both ways?

Chris
N/A

Networking in XP

The win98 pc will have little or no security that is why you can see it ok. The xp will be more secure and may need a password.

The best way is to ensure both pc are logged on with the same username and password this then solves a lot of the problems.

As others suggested we need more info on the o/s etc
N/A

networking in xp

Thanks for the replies. My version of xp is xp pro and using the network set up wizard gets me to the "this may take a few mins" which runs endlessly. In the toolbar (bottom right) an icon of two dead computers plus a red x appears with a window popup saying Network Bridge-A network cable is unplugged. Which is wierd as it all works when the 98se drive is in. The 2nd pc runs windows 98se. Haven't got round to disabling the firewall yet. Your advices are most welcome.Thanks
Community Veteran

Networking in XP

Make sure the network card is installed correctly onto winxp with the correct drivers.

Chris