cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Problem

N/A

Networking Problem

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I have just set up a small network (1 desktop + 1 Laptop) with a Netgear DG814 & ME102. I set it with no problems and it all appeared to work transfering files etc. Now I cannot see the other computer from the one I am using. It does not appear in network place or if I search for other network computers. The laptop works fine through the access point to the DG814 and I can access the internet through it so the connection through wireless seems to work OK. They don't want to talk to each though. They share the same work group name and I haven't changed anything since it worked originally. I've tried Netgear but they say it isn't their problem. Any ideas? Thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking Problem

What operating systems are the two machines using and are they both 'logged onto the network'?

Chris
N/A

Networking Problem

Sorry! Both are XP and I think they are logged on. How do I check. I thought when you go through the first screen with the little picture and your name that was logging on.
N/A

Networking Problem

Try running the networking wizzard.

This can be done by clicking on "Start" and going to "Connect to", then "Show all connections"

Is the "Connect to" option isn't there, visit "Network connections" via the control panel.

On the left hand side, there should be the "Setup network" wizzard.

N/A

Networking Problem

I ran the networking wizzard to start off on both machines. This worked fine and they could see each other over the network. In my network connections (on laptop) I have the on board NIC and the netgear MA401adaptor. The NIC says its not connected (which it isn't when using wireless) and the MA401 says it is, which it must be as I'm connecting to the net via the router. I forgot to mention that when I connect my laptop to the router by cable the network seems to work fine and they can see each other.
N/A

Networking Problem

This would sugest a security limitation in the wireless setup you have.

Check any setting on both ends of the wireless connection for settings that can stop this, including blocking broadcast packets.
N/A

Networking Problem

I don't have any WEP security setup yet (I know, I know) as I can't work out the codes you need to put into the boxes on the WEP settings thing. I put in various combinations of characters and it says that these are not suitable so I left it without any encryption for the time being. What other security settings are there and should I change these in windows or the configuration software for the wireless card and the access point. I've got no idea what you are talking about obviously. Thanks for your help.
N/A

Networking Problem

Broadcast packets are exactly what they sound.

They are broadcast just like on a radio, reaching all clients tuned in.

Routers and some wireless access points (and firewalls obviously) sometimes block these broadcasts.

This can be to prevent security issues, recuce traffic going where it doesn't need to and various other reasons.

To be very honest, i don't know where you would change these, but the fact they it works on a LAN and not in wireless mode, makes a good candidate to investigate.

You should should the manual for both access point and adapter for details on what settings there are.

As for WEP. There are some very good guides on the internet. you manual will likely include an example and the rules on creating your own (IE, only letters and numbers, so long). There are also sites from which you can take examples.

While you shouldn't, changing only 2 or 3 of the characters in an example should be enough to make a challenge.