cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Across ADSL

N/A

Networking Across ADSL

I would like to network my PC with a friends through our broadband connections. I already have two machine networked across a LAN.

Where do I start with a WAN (if that is what it would be)?

Cheers

Rob
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Networking Across ADSL

What do you want to do with a wan?

If yuo just want to share filews then you can do that if he has a modem by typing net use \\hisip\hissharename.

so if his ip is 194.119.131.66 and he has a share called test you would type net use n: \\194.119.131.66\test. You can then use the drive like any normal drive ie copy delete etc.

Be aware anyone else could do this as well. You could connect to his printer and print out on it.

What else do you need to do. If you are going to do this its best to share a directory only when you want to connect and stop the share after.

> I would like to network my PC with a friends through our broadband connections. I already have two machine networked across a LAN.
>
> Where do I start with a WAN (if that is what it would be)?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

N/A

Jan, that sounds about all we would want to do. I didn't think it would be that easy!

Cheers

Rob
N/A

If any of you allow this kind of access to your machines over your adsl connection then please close it down /now/. If not you will soon find that your machines have been comprised (read - taken over, used for nefarious purposes, ...)!
N/A

So how would you suggest to do it? Are there some sort of security settings that will allow only a specific IP address to connect?

> If any of you allow this kind of access to your machines over your adsl connection then please close it down /now/. If not you will soon find that your machines have been comprised (read - taken over, used for nefarious purposes, ...)!

N/A

I assume you are runing some sort of firewall and you use that to only allow the ip you want through.

Paroinia is setting in here, Yes you could be compromised and a chicken could fly into you pc and break it. I have done this many times with no problem. Anyone breaking in would have to find the share guess the password get past the firewall so its unlikly to say the least.

As I said you create a share only when needed and you create one in a new dir and only use that for file transfer and close the share when not in use. If someone did get in its only that share with nothing in it worth pinching.

They main danger on any machine is if you are runing high risk progs like IIS SQL as then a worm can get you.

Dont get carried away be aware of the dangers but 99% of people never get attacked. I have been on the net for over 15 years and never been attacked.

> So how would you suggest to do it? Are there some sort of security settings that will allow only a specific IP address to connect?
>
> > If any of you allow this kind of access to your machines over your adsl connection then please close it down /now/. If not you will soon find that your machines have been comprised (read - taken over, used for nefarious purposes, ...)!
>
>

N/A

The more you use the better:

Use a fire wall (specify incoming)
Use Zone Alarm (specify outgoing)
Use permissions (NTFS, logins etc)

Remember, people don't go looking for you, people go looking for vulnerbilities - scanning etc.

Test ports etc here:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

--
(OO)
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi Jan,

Personal Opinion follows:

You cannot be 'too' paranoid about windows sharing. My own machine at home receives 2 or 3 hundred attempts to connect to a windows share drive every day. A password, especially a dictionary password, can be cracked in 3 or 4 minutes using a simple script that tries every word in the dictionary.

Rather than enable windows sharing, I would always recommend the installation of an FTP server which allows for better control of files and users. FTP does not share the same security problems and potential exploits that windows sharing does.

That said, if you don't have sharing enabled, or half a half decent software firewall there really is nothing to worry about!

Ian
N/A

Ian

What software would you recommend to set up an ftp server? I want to do this myself.

Cheers

Craig