cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking 2MB connection

N/A

Please could somebody help me out i'm currently running a Wired Ethernet netowrk between desktop and laptop as i can get Wireless to work i cant get computers to appear in same work group or internet sharing on either type of network.

Please could somebody help me out sharing the internet connection as i dont have a very good knwoledge of networking.

Thanx in advance
Kyle Cool
17 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Kyle,

See the excellent tutorial provided by buzz here

Should get you sorted.
N/A

Just looked @ the tutorial provided by Buzz. but that only shows 1 pc i want to network 2 and share a 2MB internet connection through either wireless or ethernet connection...

Thanx again
Kyle
N/A

Hi Kyle,

That is a network set up tutorial. You do the same to each PC on the network. Simply ensure that each PC is given a unique IP address and it will work.

When you get the hardwired steup configured come back and we'll deal with the wireless version.
N/A

In Internet explorer i go to >tools>options>connection> Then from there how do i conigure the client to conect to the Pc to share the internet connection?

Thanx again
N/A

Hi Kyle,

Forget Internet Explorer for the minute.

Can you let me know what your current hardware set up is ie number of NIC's and what type of router you have.

This will give me a better handle on what you are doing.
N/A

Sorry should have mentioned earlier Shockedops:

I am running a desktop Pc with NIC built in on M/board & voyager 105 modem provided by plusnet - (only been active a few days not had chance to get a router)

Laptop - NIc with now router or modem

If i was to buy a ROuter could i wire desktop into router and have laptop wirelessly connecting to internet through router or is it either all wireless or all wired
N/A

No Kyle you can have mixed wired and wireless networks with a wireless router.

Ditch the USB modem and grab a wireless router. I would recommend the Netgear DG834GT but the plain old G would do aswell.

It will make setting up your network more simple and more efficient and the Netgear kit is a doddle to configure. At the moment Netgear are running a promotion of a free wireless card with the DG834GT wich would work well with your laptop. See here for more info.

If you get the kit and need help let me know and we'll get it sorted.

You'll have a much better setup than the dreaded Internet connection sharing you are trying to run now.
N/A

Thanx for the help...

My laptop has built in Wireless card though Cool but i coud make use of it in another laptop enabling it to join the network though.. I will look around for the best pice now

Thanx PCSNI
N/A

Can i still expect to achieve a 2.2mpbs connection speed when using this?

Will i be able to share files and printers through the router?
N/A

Without doubt.

Your network will run at about 100 mbps where as your internet is at best 2.2mbps.

It will be a long time before your internet outruns your lan.

And yes file and printer sharing will be and is available.
N/A

Can i still expect to achieve a 2.2mpbs connection speed when using this?

Will i be able to share files and printers through the router?
N/A

Your router will connect at whatever speed your line is provisioned at. So yes 2.2 mbps will still be available and as your network is faster than that, all lan stations will connect at this speed.

And as per my last reply, file and printer sharing will be available.
N/A

hey, just to say, i would appreciate any feed back you have on that tutorial, Seeing as I dont know how good it is.

PS : To plusnet, can you please host the files for the tutorial some where else as its killing my BW usage for my PN host Wink and i keep getting the automated "your site is over the limit" when its just this tut helpin people.

Thanks

Buz
N/A

Good tutorial thanx buzz...