cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network shaping

N/A

Network shaping

Does anyone know if there is there such a thing as network shaping whereby peak time traffic is managed?
The reason I ask is that having been moved to max, fixed at 2mb then sorted it seems that I am now restricted at 3mb.
I regularly get a sync of 5400 and over, at the moment have rebooted and reconnected at 6496 but I can only ever get 3mb throughput apart from early hours of morning where it goes up to 4mb.
Just wondered if thats what happened

Rick
2 REPLIES
N/A

Network shaping

Just because you connect at 6 meg doesnt mean you will get that on a download. How are you working the speed out?

If you connect at 6 meg there is potentially 20 or more people on your connection who may take some of this then there is the site you download from can that give you 6 meg? You can try the bt test which may give you a better idea of speed but it will allways depend on what the server can send you files at and what is going on in the background like win update av update msn etc
N/A

Network shaping

I am using Plus nets own figures on what through put speeds they would expect to achieve at different syncs.
I am obtaining my speeds from various speed test sites and also the bt one and have yet to see what they would suggest I may do at certain times of the day.
I have since found out that Plus net do in fact use traffic shaping as part of their service but I am trying to establish how much difference this makes.
I understand the adaptive nature of max and I am certainly no expert in this area relying on the info I can gather from forums etc but I am keen to know what I should expect to get.

Regards
Rick