N/A

Network routing ( nearly sorted it just need a couple of poi

I am setting up my samsung adsl modem
i can get the internet on all pcs fine. but ip routing isn't sorted properly

I'll explain my setup..

samsung adsl modem/router public ip 212.***.***.***
internal ip 10.0.0.2

I've enabled dhcp.. on it

this then goes into a network card in my server. ( network card ip 10.0.0.7)

on the server i have enabled routing (don't want to use ICS )

the network card leaving the server (ip 169.254......)

goes into a hub. which feeds to 2 clients.
(both with ips of 169.254 ... ...

Ideally what i wanted to do is to have the router dealing out the ip address 10.0.0.3-10.0.0.14

It gave my servers 1st network card the correct ip.
but didn't pass it on to the rest of the networkHuh

what am i doing wrong??

another problem i have with it is when i enter my public ip.. from another location... e.g to view my webpage... ( via IIS) I get the router config) in other words the router isn't passing the request onto the server...
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Network routing ( nearly sorted it just need a couple of

> another problem i have with it is when i enter my public ip.. from another location... e.g to view my webpage... ( via IIS) I get the router config) in other words the router isn't passing the request onto the server...
>

You need to get this fixed ASAP - your Router config is available to anybody who happens to try viewing the home page of your IP address - Not a good thing!

Is the Router NAT compatible and if so have you set it up? Otherwise it will not work correctly

> samsung adsl modem/router public ip 212.***.***.***
> internal ip 10.0.0.2
> I've enabled dhcp.. on it

Why?

>
> this then goes into a network card in my server. ( network card ip 10.0.0.7)
> on the server i have enabled routing (don't want to use ICS )
> the network card leaving the server (ip 169.254......)
> goes into a hub. which feeds to 2 clients.
> (both with ips of 169.254 ... ...
> Ideally what i wanted to do is to have the router dealing out the ip address 10.0.0.3-10.0.0.14
> It gave my servers 1st network card the correct ip.
> but didn't pass it on to the rest of the networkHuh

Questions and things to try:

What OS are you using?

Try pinging all valid addresses from all devices and note down which work and which do not.

Does you Router have NAT?

Chris
N/A

yes my router has nat but i haven't enabled it yet.. (am i just pointing it to the servers IP 10.0.0.7 ?)( or am i point it to all of them?)
or should i use napt ?

the router connects to ( win2k advanced svr... then to a hub.. then to 2 win xp clients)

I enabled DHCP to take the service of the server...

and i enabled routing on the server to enable internet to the 2 clients...

I'm at work right now so i can't do the ping thing..
but i can tell you that i could access the adsl config from any of the clinets (using http://10.0.0.2)
and internet was working fine.. ( both through ICS and routing on win2k svr)

Hope this explains it a little more..

N/A

Hi There

Im not familiar with the that type of modem/router but from the info you have given so far it looks like you might be trying to do things the hard way. Why not just plug the router straight direct into your hub and set up the default gateway on each of the machines to be 10.0.0.2? That way you get get rid of the (IMO) god awful routing and ras service on windows 2000, you may find that you have to change either the routers ip to a 169. address or change your other machines to a 10. address but, it should enable you to use nat and dhcp without too many problems.

Just a thought..

Matt
N/A

thanx... I've actually thought of that.
but the main problem with that is then i have no control over what conetent my clients get..
( or so i believe)
the reason that i'm piping the internet through the server. is so that i have control over what and when and how much gets delivered to the clients...
(correct me if i'm wrong)

N/A

Ahh, I get you now. Had to set up something similar were I work on the leased line due to some users running peer to peer apps and eating up bandwidth like there was no tomorow... a little extreme traffic shaping on our linux router/proxy server later and that soon came to an end - ab(users) soon get fed up when they their P2P app will only download at 250 bytes per second, BOFH me? Never! Smiley

Are you using something like ISA server to help you restrict available web content?

hope it works out for you

Matt
N/A

no i was going to try and implement windows QOS.. as a basic measure...

N/A

> yes my router has nat but i haven't enabled it yet.. (am i just pointing it to the servers IP 10.0.0.7 ?)( or am i point it to all of them?)
> or should i use napt ?

Not knowing that Router I'm not sure how it implements things but unless you "tell" the Router what to do with incoming packets they will either get lost or be forwarded direct to the server.

NAT is a way of doing this.

Chris
N/A

I'm a bit concerned about your understanding of some fundamentals? (Of course you might decide that it is my fundamentals that are in question!!! But I've got a working Plus Net ADSL servicing a network of about 30 users via 2 Linux servers and 2 Win 2000 servers supporting IP Masquerading (NAT) Proxy web servers (Squid) and mail serving etc etc). I've spent a long time getting this straight with PlusNet tech support. Comments below:

> I am setting up my samsung adsl modem
> i can get the internet on all pcs fine. but ip routing isn't sorted properly
>
> I'll explain my setup..
>
> samsung adsl modem/router public ip 212.***.***.***
> internal ip 10.0.0.2

STOP right there! Lets assume that your 212.*** ip is a static ip address?
However you are describing a Plus Net NAT account whereby you only have 1 public ip address which has to be allocated to you modem/router, which then acts as a NAT router. So you understand I assume that you cannot run your own servers? Your NAT router effectively hides your network behind the NAT router. New 'connections' cannot be made from the outside to your internal network as the NAT router has no routing information to an internal address. The only connections allowed are those that originated from inside your network. So only Passive FTP is allowed for example.
On the plus side security is good (though not perfect).

So I don't understand when you say you haven't enabled NAT on your router. It is NAT'ing - and has to for your connection to work at all - doesn't it? It is already NATing your internal sub-net (10.0.0.*) to your public ip (212.*** ). This is NAT not routing!

>
> I've enabled dhcp.. on it
Ok - but ...

>
> this then goes into a network card in my server. ( network card ip 10.0.0.7)
>
> on the server i have enabled routing (don't want to use ICS )
Do you mean routing, or NAT (IP Masquerading)? This is probably the core of your problem. Your clients DHCP requests probably cannot cross this boundary. Remember you would normally have a DHCP server per network and you have created 2 internal networks. One between your modem/router and server (ip 10.0.0.*), and the other between your server and clients (ip 169.254...) I belive it may be possible to get clients on one network to use the DHCP server on another but I can't remember how (or if). Your proper solution is to run a DHCP service on your server offering addresses to the 169.254... network interface.

>
> the network card leaving the server (ip 169.254......)
>
> goes into a hub. which feeds to 2 clients.
> (both with ips of 169.254 ... ...
>
>
> Ideally what i wanted to do is to have the router dealing out the ip address 10.0.0.3-10.0.0.14

It will, (eg its giving your server 10.0.0.7), but only to things on its network (not across your other router)

>
> It gave my servers 1st network card the correct ip.
> but didn't pass it on to the rest of the networkHuh
>
> what am i doing wrong??

Has anything I've said made sense??

>
>
> another problem i have with it is when i enter my public ip.. from another location... e.g to view my webpage... ( via IIS) I get the router config) in other words the router isn't passing the request onto the server...
>
Aaaaarghhh!! Disable configuration of your modem/router on the public interface like yesterday!! Also, I assume you mean IIS running on your Win2k server. Think about it. How does your modem/router know which internal ip address to pass the web page request onto. It can potentially have 16,777,214 ip addresses in the internal class A 10.*.*.* subnet. This goes back to your NAT / No-NAT ADSL choice. It sounds to me like you've got NAT and if you want to run a web server of your own you need No-NAT. This will give you your own public ip subnet of at least 4 addresses of which you can only use 1 for your publically accessable server. This can then run firewall, NAT, proxy, routing, webserver, mail server services etc etc to your internal client network.
(Take a typical network of 4 addresses 212.1.2.0 through 3 . Typically 212.1.2.0 is the subnet network address, 212.1.2.1 will be allocated to your modem/router, 212.1.2.2 is the public ip of your server (your 1 useable public address), and 212.1.2.3 is the subnets Broadcast address.)

Have fun.
N/A

You know.. I dont think Mark mentioned NAT in any of his posts, I think he just wants to restrict the web content that his users have access to. Is that right?

As far as running mail, web and proxy servers and things goes theres no need for nat if you have small number of machines, just some bog standard port forwarding would suffice to handle incoming connections from the outside world.

Just a thought

Matt