cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network revisited

Fixes: 116

Network revisited

Hi all

I haven't posted here for a while and I see that things have changed slightly.

Some time ago (March, I think) I posted many messages asking for he;lp setting up a network using the Solwise router supplied by Plus.net. No matter what I did, what settings I made, how I connected the two PCs they just would not 'talk' to each other even though they were both able to share the ADSL connection through the same network hub. Try as I might with all the help offered here I had no luck.

Anyway, by pure chance I read a review in July's PCPlus magazine where it stated that ZoneAlarm interferes with Netowrking. Sure enough, I disabled ZoneAlarm and, Hey Presto!, a fully working network connection.

Thought I'd share it with you and hope it may help anyone else with similar problems to me.

Cheers and thanks again to all those who offered help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
N/A

Network revisited

I bet you didnt mention youb were using a firewall in your post.

Its important that people provide as much info as possable often only a few details are given and our crystel ball doesnt all ways work
Fixes: 116

Network revisited

Funnily enough I didn't. I mentioned the PC's Spec, wiring, router, hub, software setup and so on but never thought ZoneAlarm played a part. The Firewall bult into the router doesn't cause problems but then again, it does seem to let stuff through that ZoneAlarm picks up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Network revisited

colhindene: if you're using Zonealarm and you want the internal machines to talk to each other you have to set up a second "Zone", containing the IP range of your private network. Have a look in the Zonealarm help and it'll tell you how.

I've got a couple of machines running Zonealarm which talk to each other happily, and have "network" and "internet" zones defined. Just set the "network" zone to have full access.

Keith