cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Time Server

N/A

Network Time Server

My Conexant based ADSL router thinks its is back in the 70's as the clock has not been set. The only way I can see of setting it is to amend one of the factory config files with details of a time server.

Does Plus.Net run a time server that customers can use ? If not, does W2K Pro support NTP and if so where is this configured ?

Many thanks,

James
5 REPLIES
N/A

Network Time Server

PlusNet have two NTP servers. ntp.plus.net and ntp2.plus.net
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Network Time Server

best to use the second aka the second DNS server its more likely to be working.

BTW if its a Origo branded router theres a new firmware for it that has editable SNTP settings
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Network Time Server

Many thanks for both replies. FWIW this device is an unbranded (actually Mentor) Wireless 4 Port Router known to be based on a Conexant chipset. Great price and seems to work but the importers are not interested in supporting users and I have not found any source of new Firmware. Closest I have found is for a 4 Port ADSL router but I am reluctant to use this firmware as it may break the 802.11 Wireless Access Point functionality.

James
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Network Time Server

FYI: Manchester University run public access NTP servers at
ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk and ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk

For support of your Connexant router try
www.adsltech.com
and
www.origo2000.com

This is for the Origo brand but it may well be the same as your Mentor. I have used the Origo firmware on other Conexant unbranded routers (not wireless though). If it physically looks the same it probably is the same. DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU MESS UP YOUR ROUTER.

BTW: Does the wireless router have the same security hole as the wired version? Telnet [external_ip_address] 254

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Network Time Server

BTW: Does the wireless router have the same security hole as the wired version? Telnet [external_ip_address] 254

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk

The new firmware for the 8100-8400 released 2 days ago fixes it, no idea for the wireless. But I still add those ports to block them, as I see this as a RC Firmware as it isn't a packaged firmware file. Its just a zip you manually load in to your router.

One good bit of info supposedly port range mapping is due end of this month or as the well forums techs says in 3 months if there end of the month definition lives true to form. to balance that the bad is no mention of the SPI firewall.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017