cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Question

N/A

Network Question

I know this maybe is'nt the place but here goes anyway.

I have 3 PC's connected to my network.

On my 8 port hub when all 3 pc's are on i get 3 connection lights + router

When I switch off all 3, for some reason one of my pc's even when switched off shows a connection to the hub.

all 3 nic cards are the same. Is there a setting i can change in the bios or something that can stop this from occuring

It's not a major problem but just curios.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Network Question

Sometimes on a network card you can install a power on by lan lead. When this lead is connected from the nic to the motherboard you get this affect. May be something to do with that so the lan card is waiting for a command to power on the pc.
the_norris
Grafter

This is correct. Most PCs now have a power supply that still provides power to the motherboard even when switched off that the front (Front Power button). This is so you can do power managment config such as 'Wake On LAN' (WOL) or wake on modem.

If you NIC card is not connect to the motherboard via the lead - as pointed out below - I would not worry about it. If you switch off the power from the wall socket for the PC - the lights will go off.

> Sometimes on a network card you can install a power on by lan lead. When this lead is connected from the nic to the motherboard you get this affect. May be something to do with that so the lan card is waiting for a command to power on the pc.

N/A

If you look at the setting for your lan card there is nomaly a setting called wake up on lan or allow this device to bring the pc out of power save. Normaly unticking this turns it off.

For corperate networks this mean they can access the pc without having to visit each pc.

> I know this maybe is'nt the place but here goes anyway.
>
> I have 3 PC's connected to my network.
>
> On my 8 port hub when all 3 pc's are on i get 3 connection lights + router
>
> When I switch off all 3, for some reason one of my pc's even when switched off shows a connection to the hub.
>
> all 3 nic cards are the same. Is there a setting i can change in the bios or something that can stop this from occuring
>
> It's not a major problem but just curios.
>
> Any suggestion appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>