cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network ADSL????

N/A

Network ADSL????

Can anyone tell me how to configure Win 98SE to share my ADSL connectionHuh?
I have fitted my 2 network cards and sharing files BUT i don't know how to split my connection.
I have tried the internet sharing wizard but it will only deyect my 56k modemHuh?
Any help or web sites would be appreciated.
Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Network ADSL????

You dont say if you have a router or modem. Lets assume you have the pc with the modem on and its got a ip of 10.0.0.2 then all you do is set the default gateway on the second pc to the 10.0.0.2 and also setup dns on the second pc to point to +net.

If you dont have a ip network and are using someother protocl you would have to install tcip.

with out more details that is as much as I can tell you

> Can anyone tell me how to configure Win 98SE to share my ADSL connectionHuh?
> I have fitted my 2 network cards and sharing files BUT i don't know how to split my connection.
> I have tried the internet sharing wizard but it will only deyect my 56k modemHuh?
> Any help or web sites would be appreciated.
> Thanks

N/A

> You dont say if you have a router or modem. Lets assume you have the pc with the modem on and its got a ip of 10.0.0.2 then all you do is set the default gateway on the second pc to the 10.0.0.2 and also setup dns on the second pc to point to +net.
>
> If you dont have a ip network and are using someother protocl you would have to install tcip.
>
> with out more details that is as much as I can tell you
>
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to configure Win 98SE to share my ADSL connectionHuh?
> > I have fitted my 2 network cards and sharing files BUT i don't know how to split my connection.
> > I have tried the internet sharing wizard but it will only deyect my 56k modemHuh?
> > Any help or web sites would be appreciated.
> > Thanks
>
>

Jan,

I dis agree- you need different ips so that they are uniquely identifiable on the network. 10.0.0.3 would work though.

If you are using a modem you would need to right click to set up ICS and then find out what static IP has been assigned to that pc.
If the pc's can still share files, all is well, just set the default gateway on the 2'nd pc to the IP of the main PC. then set up DNS on the 2'nd PC.

Simple ?

Bill
N/A

My advice to anyone planning to connect more than one machine to their ADSL line is to get a router with a built in multi-port switch. In my experience, windows Internet Connection Sharing is unstable & when it's working, the machine with the modem needs to be on for any connected machines to have access. A router with a 4 port switch only costs a few quid more than a USB modem, it's not worth the hassle doing it any other way.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried to use the internet share wizard, but for some reason when i try to assign the dial up adapter, it will only detect my 56k modemHuh
Ah well.
I think i will go with the hub idea.....sounds alot simpler.
Thanks
N/A

> Thanks for the reply.
> I have tried to use the internet share wizard, but for some reason when i try to assign the dial up adapter, it will only detect my 56k modemHuh
> Ah well.
> I think i will go with the hub idea.....sounds alot simpler.
> Thanks

If you have got an ethernet modem and two network cards in one machine then sharing will be an option against your network cards, not in dial up networking.

Bill
N/A

Hi there,

Check this out. It might help.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet

Also the page contains some useful external links
and a simple walk thru test facility.

Should cure most ills.

Good luck.

Mark
N/A

I've been using a proxy server app called Jana Server for a year and a bit now, and it works most effieciently, and works as a lan mail server also. Anothe rbonus us the ability to set different usage time slots etc.... per network IP which is great for keeping the net off limits when the kiddies should be tucked up in bed Smiley

Cheers
N/A

I've been using a proxy server app called Jana Server for a year and a bit now, and it works most effieciently, and works as a lan mail server also. Anothe rbonus us the ability to set different usage time slots etc.... per network IP which is great for keeping the net off limits when the kiddies should be tucked up in bed Smiley

Cheers