cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netmask?

N/A

Netmask?

When checking my static IP address i noticed that underneath there was another IP address designated as "Netmask". Can anyone tell me what this is please?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Netmask?

Hm, where to start?

Your IP address breaks down into two distinct portions - a network address and a host address with in that network.

Say your IP address is 81.82.83.84 and your netmask is 255.255.255.0 the mask is used to calculate what part of the ip address is the network bit and what part is yours... in the example the address of the network is 81.82.83.0 and your address is .84.
N/A

Netmask?

Gotcha! (I think lol). So this would have nothing to do with the problems i'm having setting up BitTorrent so that i'm connectable to others then?
N/A

Netmask?

Doubt it very much - if the subnet (the other term for netmask - probably a better one IMHO) is wrong then all bar broadcast traffic will miss you.

Are you running any form of firewall software (including XP's own pathetic effort)?
N/A

Netmask?

I'm running the Panda firewall, the XP one is turned off. Panda doesn't seem to be the problem however as i've tried it with that one turned off and i still get the same problem. It's all down to this router i'm on i believe. I've tried to follow online guides as to how to set it up to allow this kind of stuff but to no avail.
I'm using a US Robotics 9105 sureconnect 4 port router.