cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear834 firmware upgrade - advice please

N/A

Hi - I've just installed the Netgear DG834v2 router and I see from the Netgear website that there's a firmware upgrade available (3.01.25). A person on the help forums claims that I need this to use MaxDSL.

Has anyone experienced any problems with this upgrade?

I wouldn't know how to 'roll back' the driver if it created problems.

Thanking you, Simon
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You don't need it to run MaxDSL but I would recommend you upgrade to it as it's a lot more stable than the previous versions.

Before doing so, make sure you download the recovery utility (available from the same place you get the firmware from) as the DG834 does not always wake up from a firmware upgrade.

Also do a factory reset after upgrading so make sure you have all your setup details to hand..
keithcalder
Grafter

I have the same router DG834G v2 and have updated my firmware a few times and am currently on the latest version. I have never done a factory reset after upgrading firmware, should I do this? Never seen it mentioned on the Netgear site. Also never had any problems after upgrading either.

Keith Smiley
Community Veteran

While it may not be a documented requirement for all firmware upgrades (some have in the past), a factory reset is always recommended for any router as it ensures there are no possible compatibility issues with the config settings (which are often stored in a separate place) between the old and new firmware versions. This is even more true if you go back a version.

If you have not noticed any problems then leave it be but next time I would recommend a reset.
N/A

You really do NEED to trust petervaughan when he states a 'factory reset' following a firmware update. I had no end of trouble because i didn't read the FULL installation instructions........
N/A

i have the Netgear DG834 router i upgraded to dg834_3_01_25

had trouble connecting so i just flashed it back to dg834_g_v1_05_00

then redone it to this dg834_3_01_25

all is fine now and both worked with max dsl
N/A

You don't need it to run MaxDSL but I would recommend you upgrade to it as it's a lot more stable than the previous versions.
Before doing so, make sure you download the recovery utility (available from the same place you get the firmware from) as the DG834 does not always wake up from a firmware upgrade.
Also do a factory reset after upgrading so make sure you have all your setup details to hand..

So the factory defaults will wipe out my configuration details and I'll just have to go through the simple initial process of setting up the modem/router as before - going to the router's website and using the setup wizard on the site?
(Sorry - just checking to be certain.)
Community Veteran

yep.

If you have not setup any firewall rules it should be very quick. All you need to enter during the wizzard is the login/password.
N/A

I heard a lot of people on another forum:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/383411.html

saying the v1.10.10 version was the most stable for them. I'm on Max and downgraded to this and tend to agree. It's an unofficial firmware but a quick google for it should throw up a link (and there's a link in that forum link too).
N/A

i'm on ;latest firmware and have had no problems, apart from trying to setup vpn, but thats more of a user error
euroslob

dg834gt problem

i have a netgear dg834gt router, i have a problem with it it will not connect to the broadband, ive had bt round today to sought out the line from the telegraph pole to my adsl socket to eliminate the cables, i took the router to a friends house it went straight online so the router is ok , what else can it be ?? i have firmware V1.01.28 on it HELP!!!!!!!
Richard
N/A

I had loads of connection problems with my dg834gt until I changed the connection type from PPPoA to PPPoE. Since then it's been fine. Don't ask me why, but it worked for me Cheesy
euroslob

thankyou i will try it.
euroslob

no good still does not work, any one else with any ideas?
Community Veteran

Have you tried direct to the master socket or even the texst socket behind the user removable lower section of your master socket?
Have you tried with all other phones/faxes/sky boxes disconnected
Are all your phones/faxes/sky boxes connected via ADSL microfilters?

Are you connecting your router via a microfilter and if so are you connecting it via the DSL connection on the filter, not the phone one?

What lights are showing on the front?

Is it synced with the exchange but just not connected to PlusNet?