cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear help!

Jeni
Grafter

Netgear help!

i have now phoned netgear twice regarding my dg834pn seemingly crashing and altho they are polite they just seem to be reading from a screen rather than actualy listening to my problem and i have put this in the customer satisfaction survey they sent me.

basically what happens is i lose all connections to the internet and my router and have to take the power supply out before i can get back into it at which time my internet is back up and i can again access my router settings.

the first time i phoned them i was told to change my mtu from 1458 to 1400, i was then online for a few days before it went down again today. my instructions today have been to change my channel in the wireless settings to 06 instead of 11 and to change my security settings from WEP 128bit to WEP 64bit which apparently is better for me :?:

why should changing the wireless settings alter the fact that my wired connection to the internet goes down and then i cant access my router from the pc that is wired to it :?: i am just waiting for it to go down again, which im sure it will do.

hopefully posting this on here i might get some decent help fom some1 who understands what i am on about rather than an indian call centre rep who is just reading from a screen as that is what netgears support seems to be.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear help!

It may be a fault with PN, not your router, I have had disconnections since I signed up in July, it has been dreadful.
N/A

Netgear help!

Hi there,

Disconnects are generally a symptom of a problem local to you or a problem with your line.

Have you had a stable ADSL connection prior to using the new router?

Have you checked your filters or tested from the master socket?
N/A

Netgear help!

Well! That says it all. Recommend one of your magic modem/routers please.
Jeni
Grafter

Netgear help!

pcsni, im on llu if that makes a difference!

i was having this problem beofore i bought the router with the dropouts,i was using a bt voyager adsl modem and would have to reboot the computer whenever it happened, this time i have to remove any power to the router (is this what u call 'power cycle'?)

just wondering, is ne1 else on llu with the same router having the same problem, least then i would know its not just me or my computer where the problem lies Sad
N/A

Netgear help!

I have the DG834G it reconnects itself after PN's disconnections. I don't have to switch it off or anything.
gabriel
Dabbler

Netgear help!

My DG 834PN does the same thing every 2 or 3 days.
I am not on LLU.
I am using only wired network connections.
terminal
Grafter

Netgear help!

Disconnects are generally a symptom of a problem local to you or a problem with your line.

Unless you are on LLU, then it is a symptom of Tiscali/NTL provide a network that doesn't work properly.

thatplace - have a look at this posting http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47881

If you are getting disconnects at the same time then you are being hit by the LLU problem (which has been going on for over 2 weeks, plusnet, tiscali and ntl are no nearer resolving this problem).

I have seen another posting that suggested making sure your router is not overheating by making sure it is well ventilated.
N/A

Netgear help!

I am still on BT network, so what's causing it?
terminal
Grafter

Netgear help!

knew I shouldn't have responded late last night, mis-read "not on llu" as "on llu" Shockedops: (was still annoyed at getting yet another disconnect on llu)

Sounds to me more like the router is crashing (if you can't connect to it to see the status page) which results in the disconnect, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on any of this

here are some random ideas which might be worth trying (if you haven't already):

do you switch your router off over night? If you do, try leaving it switched on but with your computer disconnected. Then in the morning see if you can connect (might indicate whether it is network traffic related or purely hardware).

Do you notice anything else in the house coming on /off at the same time (central heating etc). just to rule out any electrical interference

Does the same happen if you use different power sockets or telephone sockets

Hope you get this sorted, I know how annoying this sort of thing can be.
N/A

Netgear help!

So many things to do at night, put the cat out, lock up, switch the lights off and disconnect the computer from the modem. Where is it all going to end? That's what I'd like to know.
Jeni
Grafter

Netgear help!

Unless you are on LLU, then it is a symptom of Tiscali/NTL provide a network that doesn't work properly.

thatplace - have a look at this posting http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47881

If you are getting disconnects at the same time then you are being hit by the LLU problem (which has been going on for over 2 weeks, plusnet, tiscali and ntl are no nearer resolving this problem).

I have seen another posting that suggested making sure your router is not overheating by making sure it is well ventilated.

will have a proper read through the posts later. the most irritating thing is that cos the router crashes when i get the disconnect i cant access the logs and once i reset the router the logs are reset too. i have checked its not overheating, it shouldnt be altho i will have a clear round my desk to see if i can put it in another place.
some1 said that a disconnect should not cause my router to crash which is the other irritation and is y i have been on the phone to netgear customer service, altho as i posted before, its a complete waste of time and phone calls!