cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Router probs

alliejc
Grafter

Netgear Router probs

I got upgraded to MaxDSL on the 4th and realised straight away that my usb modem couldn't handle the new speeds so yesterday I went out and bought a router - Netgear DG834PN . Get it home, set it up and it works like a dream all day - until about 9pm. It started with the connection dropping very briefly a couple of times but going straight back on and then I just couldn't connect at all.

Basically ever since then, I keep losing the adsl link light and the ppp light (i think that's what it is called - the one that looks a bit like an 8 laying on it's side.

The adsl link light will train, turn solid green but only stay on for about 20 seconds max. The ppp light doesn't come on at all half the time, and when it does, it too only stays on for a very short time.
It's been troublesome again this morning but I have now managed to get on so hoping that someone can help me before I get disconnected again.

I spent ages on the phone last night and was told to try the setup in the master socket so planning on doing that later but has anyone got any ideas please? I'd be extremely grateful as I have never used a router before and could really do with some help on what could possibly be wrong as I don't know if I'm potentially looking at a hardware fault, problem with my line etc.

Thanks in advance.

Allie x
3 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear Router probs

All modem should be in theory, able to handle up to 8Mb, so there was no point in buying a router, unless you need wireless or you have to connect more than one PC.

If you having problems with both the modem and with the router, surely it must be the line. If you look at this forum, most people have had intermittent problems after the upgrade and I am one of them. Is your line capable of handling higher speeds? How far are you from the exchange?

I don't use the master socket, but that doesn't cause any problem, unless the wire in between has been damaged, that is.

Maybe you should wait a few days and see what happens, but I am sure other people will have some different advice to offer.
N/A

Netgear Router probs

leave the router plugged into the test socket and see how you get on. Sounds like it could be dodgy house wiring.
alliejc
Grafter

Netgear Router probs

Thanks guys, it's actually been fine again all day today so I don't know what was going on with it but hope it stays this way.

Allie