cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834PN range?

lenseman
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

I recently purchased a Netgear DG834PN from Plusnet. Although the router works great while used on a wired network the wireless range leaves a lot to be desired.

Despite using the WPN111 and WPN311 units with it, even a single brick wall can half the signal.

I have been in contact with Netgear and they have told me to return it to the 'Store' I purchased it from.

I am not 100% convinced that this particular router is good enough for the purpose it is intended, possibly in a modern house with stud walls it would be great.

My house is solidly constructed with brick and concrete, my wife's PC is only forty feet away in a downstairs room but her reception is very poor.

The firmware has been updated and all drivers are up to date.

Is there anyone who can give an educated opinion on this particular Router to help me decide, is it the Router or environment?

Regards,
John B.
20 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

I haven't seen a review of the PN router but see below for the DG834G

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/2004/q3/netgear-dg834g.html

Mine is great however a friend who has a DG834GT does occasionally have problems using his laptop on a different floor from where his PC and router is. Try moving the router to a different position in the room, particularly away from radiators or other metal objects.

I would also say I have found Netgear's customer support to be excellent. I have had 3 or 4 routers replaced over the years by Netgear directly. No problem - customer support should give you a RMA number and unit should be exchanged for free. If you pay a small fee the new unit will be sent out before the old one has been returned but I never bothered with this as I had a spare modem I could use. I think getting PlusNet (or any shop) involved will only delay the procedure. If Netgear have suggested returning the unit to the shop where you bought it they seem to be suggesting they think there may be a problem so ask for a replacement under warranty directly from Netgear.
holdtight
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

I too have found the range of the DG834PN leaves a lot to be desired

Ive always run linksys routers wired and wirless and found signal strength to be superb but thought i would dip my toes into the netgear pool with the DG834PN and WPN111 when i needed a change

Same as you John the firmware and drivers are the latest and even when im in the same room as the router with my laptop the signal only gets displayed as good instead of excellent and drops from time to time if i go upstairs i can bearly get any signal at all and im in a modern house with no thick walls

I dont know if its a faulty router and i will be in touch with netgear support but im going back to my trusty WAG54G V2 when i get time to swap them over to see what the difference is although i already know the answer to that

Bill.
lenseman
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

I have been in contact with Netgear and their reply was

The range of the Netgear DG834PN between 240 feet and 300 feet in an open environment. This was tested by Netgear and given certified but we can't predict the range of the router with WPN wireless products in the home. Because, there might be several walls in between the wireless router and adapter. Sometimes one will be upstairs and other will be in the downstairs also.

Also in addition, if there is any wireless interference or any metallic surface covered in between those two products, obviously the range of the router will be considerably reduced.

So basically I interpret that has saying if you live in an aircraft hanger or an open field the Netgear Router is the one for you. If like most of us you live in a house and require wireless connections look elsewhere.

I suppose I should have asked the question first rather than believe the advertising splurge about this Router. Sad

John B.
N/A

Netgear DG834PN range?

Mine seems to have a current range of about 50m although there is a lot of interferance from unshielded electrical motors, transformers, compressors etc.
N/A

Netgear DG834PN range?

Hello
When I was with v21 (different provider )I complained about the poor speeds etc. I have a netgear wirless router too. The results from my own research and help was :-
Although I was getting a 100% signal strength from the next room the speed was less than if I hard wired it in via the ethernet port etc etc. For the sake of a piece of wire I now have the router down stairs next to the phone socket and two pc's in different places in the house upstairs( hard wired in ) and have the max speed possible.
All the best
Pete
PS always a compromise wirless
johnmglen
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Mine is fine, same model as yours but my house is of modern constuction and is therefore made of paper-mache and cauliflower.
holdtight
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

my house is of modern constuction and is therefore made of paper-mache and cauliflower

Same as mine then John Wink

Ive recently read a magazine review of the latest netgear rangemax router cant remember the model now but it got a very poor rating for its wireless range capabilty so much so that the magazine in question recommended not buying it at all if you lived in a house with more than one floor Sad

That doesnt give me much confidence in the later netgear range mine included, they seem to have gone downhill after the DG834G came out which seems to be ok so maybe its just a rangemax thing so come on netgear how about another firware upgrade to fix this rangemax that has no range
johnmglen
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Mine is a two stry modern house, the DG834PN is great regardless of where my Laptop is (core duo - Intel Pro set wireless built in). It's even good in the garden at 20 Mtrs or so.

Maybe you are getting inteference, have you swapped channels?

Good luck anyhow.
lenseman
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

I tried the Netgear DG834G with rather alarming results.

With the Netgear DG834PN supplied by Plusnet my PC which is only 6ft away from it, gets 94% signal with the borrowed DG834G it gets 100% signal

My other PC in the same room is getting similar results.

My Wife's PC which is downstairs only receives a signal strength of 45% from the DG834PN but with the borrowed DG834G she was receiving a signal of 74%.

I think that this confirms the DG834PN is not really up to the job despite Netgear's claims. Cry

John B.
johnmglen
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Don't think it's that cut and dry mate - mine's absolutely fine.
holdtight
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Are you running the latesst 1.03.30 firmware John or a previous version ?

Just curious

Bill.
lenseman
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Yes I upgraded the firmware to 1.03.30 within a few minutes of trying to sort out the problem. All adaptors drivers are fully updated and I have tried every channel on the system!

Its now getting boring :?

John B.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Netgear DG834PN range?

Having used a few of those the range is not good unless you have a modern house with thin walls. In our house it is fine but in my parents house built in 1927 with very thick walls the range is a bit limited.

We tried one at work and it barely made it out of reception on the ground floor due to the lifts and solid walls blocking the signal. Ceilings are usually quite thin though so you can try placing it in the room below where you want to be wireless as the up stairs meeting rooms had a good signal !!!!!

Cheesy
N/A

Netgear DG834PN range?

I have purchased two pre-N routers from two different manufacturers and have been disappointed with the range of both of them. Neither have been noticeably better than a 802.11b router in terms of range, but have brought benefits when it comes to throughput and in allowing different users to connect at different speeds.

With any luck these range issues will have been ironed out when the standard is finally agreed.