cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT

N/A

Netgear DG834GT

I was thinking of buying a Netgear DG834GT router, but would like to know whether it is considered a gudun'.

If not, which router (wired or wireless) would you all recommend?

I do want one with intergrated ADSL modem/firewall/4 xLAN tho'.

Thanks in advance.
--
Regards
Ripperoo

PS
Sorry if this Q has been asked a zillion times.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834GT

Does your existing wireless hardware (on PC/laptop) support 108Mbs wireless speeds - which is currently not a standard yet? The main difference between the GT and G models is that higher wireless speed.

Do you intend to transfer a lot of data between wireless devices?

If the answer to both of those is no then you don't need the added expense of the GT model, the DG834G (with latest firmware) will be better and the one I recommend you use. If you don't want wireless then the standard DG834 wired router is my other recomendation.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Just remember if you go for the 108M model with built in ADSL model make sure it is mounted on it's side, otherwise it will over heat and FAIL!
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Does your existing wireless hardware (on PC/laptop) support 108Mbs wireless speeds - which is currently not a standard yet?

Actually, I only have a USB ADSL modem (Speedtouch 330) atm.. I will however be needing an alternative way of connecting to the internet when I get round to hooking my old PC up for my son (if Santa doesn't bring him a laptop that is). Wink.

Just a thought, but is the Netgear DG834GT wireless only then?

It's just that I thought I'd read somewhere that it can be used as a wired router if needs be.

The main difference between the GT and G models is that higher wireless speed.

Do you intend to transfer a lot of data between wireless devices?

No, not really. It's just that I have seen the Netgear DG834GT for less than £70 delivered and thought it looked a good price considering the daft prices some of the older versions go for on eBay.

If the answer to both of those is no then you don't need the added expense of the GT model, the DG834G (with latest firmware) will be better and the one I recommend you use. If you don't want wireless then the standard DG834 wired router is my other recomendation.

Well I was wanting a wired router to begin with, but I'd need to do a bit of floorboard lifting and routing of cables, so the convenience of wireless would have far outweighed the savings considering the relatively cheeap price of £70 (new) .

Saying that, if I got one cheap enough, then floorboard lifting would be OK. Wink

Thanks for the info Peter.
--
Rgards
Ripperoo
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Just remember if you go for the 108M model with built in ADSL model make sure it is mounted on it's side, otherwise it will over heat and FAIL!

Thanks for thta Odyseus!

Off to attacth my new Clarity ADSL Face Plate. Wink
--
Regards
Ripperoo
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834GT

DG834 wired only 4 port switch
DG834G as above but with wireless capability (11&/54Mbs)
DG834GT as above with the additional 108Mbs capability

The GT does use different firmware from the G and non-G routers.

Where are you getting the GT model for £70 delivered from as that is cheap - best I've seen for the 834G is £72+delivery.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Best price at the moment for DG834GT is at amazon.co.uk which is selling it for £64.99 including delivery!
This is even cheaper than the lower spec DG834G which they are selling at £66.80 including delivery. Must have done a deal with Netgear.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

TBH the DG834G is not a lower spec router. It may not have the faster speeds of the T, however it is a much more stable and reliable router than the T.

Sales of the DG834G outstrip the T version by a mile. Improvements for the T are due and maybe then it will be a credible rival for its older brother.

If you dont need the faster internal network data transfer, stick with the DG834G.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Where are you getting the GT model for £70 delivered from as that is cheap - best I've seen for the 834G is £72+delivery.

Yup, as tffive said, "Amazon".

Seems reasonable when comparing it with some of the prices people are paying for second/third/fourth user :shock: units on fleabay. Wink.

Was originally thinking about the Linksys WAG54G, but read mixed reviews.

Is the Netgear DG834GT any better/more stable than the Linksys?

I'll probably end up with the Netgeat now as it seems in my limited research that it's predecessors get more favourable comments than the Linksys router/modems.

Thanks guys.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Adsl guide have some excellent reviews here for Netgear and Linksys amongst others.

Worth a read.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

I'd go for the G model rather than the GT. I have the GT and it's not very stable. If you check Netgear's forums, you'll find hundreds of posts on it. If I leave mine on for quite a while while not using the internet, it locks up and I have to unplug it completely and leave it for a while before it'll reconnect. When it does work, it's very good. The wireless range is excellent. I just switch mine off when I'm not using it. Let's hope Netgear sort out a decent firmware upgrade soon. All my colleagues at work use the G version and don't have any problems with it.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

I'm using DG834GT and I've no problem at all with it. The G & GT versions have different CPUs, hence different set of firmwares though both are running on Linux. There is no advantage on GT over G .. other than the 108MB part, but you need to have a Netgear turbo card to make full use of it.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Using a DG834G with no problems. Would definately recommend them. Got mine about a month ago from amazon for £63 with a free USB wireless adapter and free p&p. Upgrading firmware was completely painless.
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

I purchased the DG834GT from PC world! about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if they are still running the offer at the moment but it was a good deal as I also needed the USB adapter for my PC. I usually avoid PC world at all costs due to their excessive prices, but in this instance, it worked for me.

PC world were selling the following products on their shelves: -

DG834GT - £129.99
WG111T - £59.99
DG834GT & WG111T package - £89.99

It seemed totally bizarre seeing the package deal on the shelf next to the DG834GT retailing at £40 more!

Just in case you are wondering, the package includes one micro filter.

Hope this helps
N/A

Netgear DG834GT

Well, thanks guys.
Well I considered the Netgear DG834G, which everyone seems to feel is the better/more stable than the later GT model, but after checking ebay and seeing the daft prices some people are paying for second user (circa £50 +P&P) , I ended up choosing the GT model.

Got it from PCWorld <spit> for the online price of £64.99 instead of the extortionate £119.99 in-store price (robbin' bar stewards).

Anyway, it personally took a little longer than the few minutes that some claim it takes to get it up and running (about 1.5 hours in total Sad), but it seems to working OK.

Only using the ethernet capability atm, until I find a reasonably price wireless adapter.

One question.

I'm assuming that theres some sort of standard across the board when it comes to wireless connectivity.

So will I be able to use an adapter form other manufacturers or will I need to purchase a Netgear wireless?

Many thanks.
--
Regards
Ripperoo