cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT v3 Flashing ADSL sync light

mooneyfamily
Grafter

I am on my 3rd router, all different. I have the same issue.
With no internet activity the ADSL sync light is on and steady. With activity it flashes. It didn't use to. Sometimes this even causes page errors as it takes so long to load a page. Generally no problem with email.
Anyone got any suggestions to sort this?
Thanks
Peter
23 REPLIES
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Is the firmware up to date on the router and have you had a MAX upgrade on the line?
mooneyfamily
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply.
The firmware is up to date and I have not had the 8mb upgrade. Still on 2mb.
N/A

Have exactly the same problem with my Netgear DG834GT router also :shock:

I tried an alternative bt voyager router and still had the same issues. It's random at the moment but I have really bad periods of disconnections, the dsl light turns off, flashes amber and turns green again.

Tried every type of troubleshooting there is at the minute except tampering with the phone socket and calling an engineer out.

I'm stumped.
N/A

Can you get any stats from the router like SNR or attenuation? If you could post these we may be able to help.

Has anything changed in the house like new phone, radio, tv etc?

It could be down to the rain does it go worse with the weather?
N/A

Don't mean to hijack here but since I have possibly the same issue here are my router stats,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5408 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 26.0 db 1 6.0 db
Noise Margin 16.3 db 21.0 db

Troubleshooting carried out,

-Interleaving Enabled
-Confirmed router settings from plusnet settings are correct on my router
-Tried new Microfilters
-Tried another Router - BY Voyager with no difference.
-Plugged both routers into the phone line direct and still had connection drops
-Removed bottom portion of my BT NTE5 master socket and plugged both routers in directly, connection still dropping.
-Logged a line fault on Plusnet website which resulted in a "fail". Plusnet Tech support say the line check is fine and that I had been connected "well over a day" last weekend.

Nothing has changed in the house, connection has been awful from May when i was Max'd by Zen then I moved to plusnet and had more disconnects than ever before.

Thanks Smiley Really don't mean to hijack this thread though, just thought my problems sounded the same.
N/A

I think we are all having the P*** taken out of us here, trying this, trying that, disconnecting the other, rebooting whatever. I gather a lot of us are experienced enough to know this.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Have you tried connecting up with no other phone equipment connected in the house?
mooneyfamily
Grafter

I have found Plusnet really unhelpful. One ticket took nearly a week to get a response. I have tried unplugging evrything. I have tried just using the master socket. All to no avail. This happens all the time and is not weather related Plusnet said that they would tell BT but that the consequence would be that BT would just downgrade the line rather than solve the issue. Since I live in a town and nothing has changed here I was unimpressed. Plusnet now tell me that as I stay connected BT will not be interested. I am beginning to suspect a Plusnet software issue but how to prove it?
Alecto
Grafter

I'm confused by the original question.
On the DG834, the sync light is steady green when there is no activity, and flashing green when there is activity.
It goes amber when there is no sync.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

I had exactly the same issue as you when i was with Tiscali they were shocking and so was there connection i did however find with the help of plus net some of my internal wiring wasn't too good and i did have to alter the filter config in my house also removing the bell wire in the master socket made the single biggest difference to my connection it made so stable and even now im maxed i dont suffer disconnections there is a post on here on which wire to remove IIRC its the orange wire in the T4 slot but dont take my word for it check it out ill have a look for the link and post it
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

N/A

I had the same intermittent problem. Solved it by taking the face off the BT socket and pluging the lead into the socket behind.

Try it, works for me
N/A

I'm confused by the original question..

Indeed... can the OP tell us if the "i" LED is flashing amber or flashing green?
mooneyfamily
Grafter

The ADSL light is flashing green.
Sometimes the pages in IE take so long that it times out, at other times just slow.
I ran these tests at Plusnets request. Results at the end.
Test 1
To check the BT network configuration change the Routers ADSL/PPP login details to the following:

Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: 123

This username will connect the user directly to BT's RAS server and eliminate EntaNet out of the equation. If the user cannot connect with this username then there is a BT fault and you will need to report this to the Support Desk.

Test 2
If the user can connect to this username then you will need to test if the BT provision is setup correctly and that BT's network configuration matches the line provision. This can be done by changing the Router ADSL/PPP login details to the following:

Username: bt_test_user@adsllogin.co.uk
Password: 123

If this username will not connect then please report the fault to the Support Desk for a One Shot test to determine if there is a BT line fault or a router configuration fault.
If this username will connect, try the user's original username and password again. It has been known for new connections not to work straight out the box and require a login with a BT test account beforehand.
If the above two BT usernames connect and provide the router with an IP address then the problem lies with EntaNet, so please contact the Support Desk for assistance.

Thursday 17/08/2006 Test 1 Pass Test 2 FAIL
Friday 18/08/2006 Test 1 Pass Test 2 FAIL
message CHAP authentication failed
Monday 22/08/2006 Test 1 Pass Test 2 FAIL
message CHAP authentication failed
At least two of the tests were carried out between Midnight and 16.00.