cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G FTP problems

PLC
Grafter

This is driving me mad! I cannot seem to get FTP to go through the router. Can anybody tell me what ports I need to open. I had assumed 20 and 21 but maybe this is wrong. Any other suggestions also welcome. It all worked fine under dialup so I assume the router must be the culprit.
16 REPLIES
N/A

There should be no need to open any ports to get FTP to work.
I assume you mean FTP to your webspace at PlusNet, If so, this has been slow to respond today.
I would suggest the problem lies elsewhere as the default setup on the DG834 allows FTP out.
PLC
Grafter

Thanks for that. No the problem is not FTP to Plus. What puzzles me is what else could be different using dialup from BB?
Community Veteran

Should work without any ports being opened. Opening ports is only for incoming initiated connections, not outgoing.

What firmware version are you running on the router. The latest 1.03.00 has a fix for ftp problems so if that is not the version you have try upgrading the firmware - note: you MUST NOT upgrade the firmware via the wireless connection, it must be done via a lan connection and follow the firmware upgrade instructions to the letter..
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Peter,

Do you mean setting up an FTP server on your connection?

If so then you should just need to set up FTP to forward in the firewall settings to forward the port to the FTP server. I've got the same router and done just this and it works fine.
PLC
Grafter

Possibly a terminalogical problem here. I run a program that as one of its aspects uploads via FTP dat to a websire every 15 minutes. Under dialup it worked perfectly but it refuses to on my PLUS BB connection. The program's author says it is a firewall problem. Just to see I disabled Zonealarm and the router firewals. It still did not work. Having reinstated the firewalls I am looking for some other cause. Thanks for your response as I don't think it is a PLUS problem!
Community Veteran

firmware version?
N/A

What you want to do is again only an outgoing connection, so should not need any ports opening on the router. You should only need to open a port if you want some external to access your machine.
Zone Alarm could be giving a problem on this front, but as you say you've turned it off ... Huh
Does the FTP software you are using use some wierd port of its own ?Huh
PLC
Grafter

Noted and thanks. AFAIK the ports it uses are standard. Certainly it makes no difference if ZA is running or not. In any case ZA is set to allow the program. Maybe it will all be clearer in the morning!
Community Veteran

I'll ask for the third time...

What firmware version are you running in the router. 1.03.00 has a fix for unreliable FTP problems.
N/A

As Petervaughan asks, what firmware version are you runningHuh It's at the top of the page in router status.
Version 1.03 cured some FTP problems.

You can download version 1.03 and the "fix" incase anything goes wrong from my site :
www.cqg4uzg.plus.com/DG/DG834RecoveryUtility.zip

The firmware is the img file in the zip. Use the "router upgrade" in the maintenance section. You must use a wired connection when doing the update and only use the "fix" if the router does not start after the update.
PLC
Grafter

Reply.

Thanks for that. I have alreay downloaded and done the upgrade. I appreciate you making it available.
PLC
Grafter

This gets weirder!

If I try and use SmartFTP to upload items to my web pages the signon is rejected. I tried using my login petercrosland and petercrosland@dsl.net together with the correct password. The response from the Plus system is login incorrect. I have double checked the password but it still rejects it. I guess I am ignoring something very obvious that affects ftp in some way. Are there any Windows XP Pro things I should look at? It worked AOK on dial up. TIA
PLC
Grafter

Extra

Also the same with the alternative ftp as well.
N/A

I have a DG834 (not wireless) and had a problem with outbound FTPs to plusnet. The only way I could fix it was to create a firewall rule to log FTP traffic and spot what was being blocked. I then created rules to allow inbound FTP traffic FROM port 20 or 21 from a number of IP addresses that the plus net FTP server was using and route these to my PC. The local port on my machine kept changing, possibly but I don't know, for each folder I was sending.

I guess that my ftp client and the remote server were negotiating the local FTP port (or one end was simply imposing one) but the router lost track of the conversation and did not recognise the inbound traffic to local port nnnn as part of the conversation intiated by me.

I don't think this can be right but it seems to work. My software firewall (Mcafee) handles this without fuss.

My firm ware is 1.01.01 or 1.00.09.00 depending on where you look.