Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Del
Grafter

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Hi All,

I've just got myself an Netgear DG834 Modem/Router and tried to set it up to play on-line games but on the Firewall Rules set-up page I have my LAN Server IP Address as 192.168.0.1 which is the Router address.

Can anyone tell me which address I should use please.

Thanks Del
10 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

If you use DHCP, then your IP address is probably 192.168.0.2. It might be better to set up your PC with a static IP address, just in case it changes when you logon.
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

I have the same router. Set it up as a static ip so it does not change everytime. Makes it easier that way.

Also check you have the latest firmware, fixes a lot of bugs and is very stable
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Why bother using a static address, just reserve the address for your machine and let DCHP handle any others, simple :-)

Aaron
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

OK, Clever Cloggs! Wink
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

lol , I only know it because it's what I've done with mine.
Del
Grafter

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Thanks Mariglenn, you were correct about the IP address. sorry to take so long to get back to you but I had eventually found the required information from the Netgear CD.

One more question though, the instructions say not to use another firewall along with the router but I have the McAfee firewall running at the same time.

Should I switch it off.

Thanks
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

No, it will work perfectly well and improve your protection because the hardware firewall in your router will not block any outgoing connection attempts from your PC (they are designed to block incoming connection attempts), whereas the software firewall will block outgoing and incoming connection attempts.

Which is why it's always better to have a software firewall on all PCs in your local network as well as a hardware firewall in your router.

This does mean you may need to configure both firewalls to allow incoming connections - say if your running a webserver or FTP or want to run online games.
Del
Grafter

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Smiley Thanks for your help Peter.
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

your router will not block any outgoing connection attempts from your PC

Maybe not by default, but you can certainly block outgoing packets that try to use certain ports.
N/A

Netgear DG834 Set-Up

Yep, this is very true, it's always better to alter the setup than just using it "out of the box".

I've done this with my router, so if anyone wants any advice on this, then feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Aaron