cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG824M Router query

iPaqowner
Grafter

In advance of my line being activated I have bought a Netgear DG824MUK modem/router/switch/hub so I can network my connection wirelessly to my 2 daughter's Pc's and would like to know if I can set it up without the line being ADSL activated (anyday now I hope!)

Bear in mind I am new to networking in general. The quick setup guide states after connection and switch-on.............

"The ADSL activity LED will change to solid green once the ADSL link has established. Assuming the ADSL line successfully synchronises, it is a case of opening a copy of a web browser on your computer and navigating to http://192.168.0.1 (the URL for the web based configuration pages built into the DG824M). The browser will ask for a username and password for the router, the defaults are admin and password respectively. If you do not see the page shown below then consult the Troubleshooting section of the manual on the resource CD."

Does this mean I won't see this setup page until the line is activated?

I have connected the DG824M to my PC with a netwok card and under "Network connections it is listed as "Network bridge" with an icon in the system tray and I have fitted two Netgear MA111 Usb adaptors to the other Pc's.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks,
John.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

As far as I am aware you should be able to see and access the router before the line is activated.

At least I can with my DSL-504 which actually uses the same ip 192.168.0.1 as yours.

It should let you in to set it up with username and password etc and then report that the line is not seeing any line conditions.
N/A

you can set it up without adsl but you must have an ip in the routers range to see it.

Normaly they are set to be a dhcp server by default so if you set you pc up to get the ip adress automaticly you should pick up the correct ip

If you boot up with the router on and pluged into the network check your ip with ipconfig /all (xp/2000) or winipcfg 98. If it is in range you should be able to get the webpage up ok.

If this fails you will have to set your pc to have an ip next to the one which is the routers default, reboot and it should then work. You may have to turn off dial a connection in IE or it will try to dial up .
iPaqowner
Grafter

Many thanks for that info...............I tried it and it now works.............in fact my ADSL is now active and I'm in the process of trying it all out...............great so far!
Mightily impressed with PlusNet.
Thanks
John.