cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG824M Locked up

iPaqowner
Grafter

Netgear DG824M Locked up

Can anyone suggest a method I can try to unlock my DG824M Wireless ADSL modem/access point/router?
I was trying to setup port forwarding on it last night and then it stopped working altogether. The power led is on but the test led (which should go out after 10 secs) is constantly lit, because of this the Wan led won't come on.

A troubleshooting guide on the installation cdrom tells how to reset it using the small reset switch accesible through a hole at the rear but this does not work, even holding it in while applying the power hasn't helped either and I have tried just about every combination of doing this to no avail.
I left it unplugged overnight but no change.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear DG824M Locked up

Have you tried to upgrade the firmware or something? strange that the router should lock up. I've had this happen after a firmware upgrade but not from just using the router.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Netgear DG824M Locked up

No, that's the annoying thing!
I've had it for about 18 months and it's been a great performer plugged in/switched on 24/7, I'm always singing it's praises. Just days after I got it I upgraded the firmware twice with no problems and it's been absolutely first class and reliable.
I was trying to configure it for port forwarding for a P2P program and I made a mistake and couldn't access the setup page so I tried removing the power and re-booted it and that seemed to fix it.........a short time later again I couldn't access it and thought I would reset it as per the manual to it's defaults and that's when it hung with the test led constantly on.
Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed.
N/A

Netgear DG824M Locked up

Some netgear routers are known to suffer from problems due to P2P software opening so many connections and they can freeze, but normally a re-boot sorts them out.

How long have you had this router for?
iPaqowner
Grafter

Netgear DG824M Locked up

18 months.
I think I've just been unlucky and the P2P configuration problem was just a coincidence?

N/A

Netgear DG824M Locked up

Well Netgear do have some software that is meant for recoverying after a firmware upgrade failure, but it's a pretty comprehensive software update. It might be worth trying.

Otherwise it might be that your router, is on it's way out. Sad
iPaqowner
Grafter

Netgear DG824M Locked up

Yes, but how can you if you can't access the gateway?

N/A

Netgear DG824M Locked up

It works, even when you can't access the gateway. When I upgraded the firmware on my netgear router and it failed, it was like an empty box....or might as well have been.

However the software did the trick, and it's working fine again :-)
iPaqowner
Grafter

Netgear DG824M Locked up

So how's it done and is there one available for the DG824M because I've had a look on the Netgear support site and I don't see it?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed.Please don't quote all of the preceding post as its just not needed.
N/A

Netgear DG824M Locked up

You need to go to the support section of the netgear site, www.netgear.com, and look under the scroll down selection for your device.

You should reach a page with the latest firmware, and it normally also lists the recovery tool for your router. You will need both.

detailed Instructions are provided with the tool, on how to use, but to be honest you probably won't need them. You need to ensure the version you want to install is in the same directory as the tool, and it'll will do the rest.