cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG814 adsl modem router?

N/A

Hi just a quick enquiry to see if anyone had any experience with this particular modem with plusnet adsl service and if its any good.
Thanks.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yep,

I've used one for over a year, it used to cut off now and then when I first got it, but upgraded firmware (higher versions of the firmware are shipped with new models) and never had a problem since.

Chris
DaveH

Been using the DG814 since my exchange was upgraded early May without any problems, looks good, is very configurable and so far hasnt fallen over once. A friend of mine who has been using one for over a year had problems with it early on but the newer firmware (4.6 I think), seems to have cured the problems.
:lol:
Community Veteran

Yes set up a network and ADSL for a friend using one about a year ago and it "Just Works" Cheesy
N/A

Netgear DG814 adsl modem router

Had 1 for over a year, never had a problem till upgrade to some dodgy beta firmwares that were doing the rounds.

Couldn't log on to a particular time server and made the activity light blink, but all now been resolved in the official firmware.

Latest Firmware is the dogs nuts, rock solid stability,some new functionality added, time servers added etc.

On a serious level, this is seriously easy kit, but with some advanced features if required.

:lol:
CJC1942
Grafter

Agree with previous postings, easy set up and rock steady performance for 4 months.
Very occasional glitch fixed by power off/on routine.
N/A

A relative of mine has been using this router for a year with plusnet broadband and had no problems.

All the netgear equipment I've had at work or home always seems to 'just work' without fuss. So much so, I've ordered this very router while I wait for my line to ADSL enabled. & to 10 days seems a lifetime to wait!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any netgear stuff!
thePhoolish
Grafter

Yep,

I've used one for over a year, it used to cut off now and then when I first got it, but upgraded firmware (higher versions of the firmware are shipped with new models) and never had a problem since.

Chris

dido... ...and very easy to setup, the lack of built in firewall is the only downside.
martinp

time server probs with dg814?

just installed dg814 which was very straightforward...seem to have a problem with the link to a time server though, the 'filtering-email' section just keeps defaulting back to 00:00:00....anyone else had this problem?
DaveH

Had that problem with the last version of the firmware (4.6), but the new version (4.7) seems to solve this problem. Snag it from the netgear site at http://www.netgear.com/support/products/DG814.asp
Upgrading solved the problem for me.
N/A

yeah i upgraded my firmware the other day, no difference except i now get XP telling me that i have a router (as if i didn't know that already) and accessing the web interface is a pain cos it continuously says someone else is accessing it when in can guarentee that no-one else is... :?
N/A

You may have forgotten one step when upgrading your router.

You need to revert to factory default (there is a thing for this somwhere in it), for the auto-update of the clock to work properly.

XP will tell you have a router, thanks to upnp.
martinp

You're absolutely right...reverting back to factory default has enabled the NTP

Thanks for that...just checked the release notes upgrade procedure again, would've been nice for netgear to mention this small step!

MartinP
Community Veteran

Is there anything else that requires going back to the default settings?

I'm not going to revert back for just the NTP settings.

Chris
N/A

reverting settings back wouldn't help my problems would it?
every time i try to access it i get:
Server Busy
The object you requested on the server is being used by someone else. Please try again later.

until i press refresh and i have to do that with every page :?