cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG814 Router - MTU Question

N/A

Heres the deal.... I have a Netgear DG814 Router and prefer to have my mtu set at 1500 (I have plus nets 2mb connection)

Now I've had a quick nosey through the mtu sticky thread and am confused. Do I need to change the mtu settings in my registry (im running winxp) to match those of my router, or won't it make any difference.

Please advise.....
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The router and XP should have the same MTU values.

Also you may actually find 1500 does not give you the best throughput. MTUs of 1430, 1458, 1478 and 1492 may do though so it's worth experimenting as it can make a difference. Having too high an MTU can be just as bad as it being too low. Not all networks will use an MTU of 1500 so you may get packet fragmentation occuring more often with 1500 than you would with say 1478 as I use.

To change your MTU in XP use the DrTCP tool, which is where you also set RWIN (which can also effect your overall throughput i.e. speed).
N/A

Hmm ok - you say that .. "Not all networks will use an MTU of 1500 " - so my question to plus.net is what is their network set to work best with? I find the whole mtu experimentation issue very daunting - surely there is an optimim setting for plus.net users?

Another question - my desktop pc has an intergrated network card on the motherboard, as a result there is the following in my network connections...

1394 Connection
Local Area Connection
Network Bridge (Network Bridge)

The 'Network Bridge' has the tcp/ip configuration options, so my question is do I just change the mtu for this connection, or all of them?
zpeterk
Grafter

Ignore that part XP will make a bridge between your network card and your firewire port (which you can set the connection setting for to network two computers together).

You need to be looking in the one that says Local area connection
Community Veteran

Hmm ok - you say that .. "Not all networks will use an MTU of 1500 " - so my question to plus.net is what is their network set to work best with? I find the whole mtu experimentation issue very daunting - surely there is an optimim setting for plus.net users?

There is no best MTU/RWIN combination, if there were everyone would know about it. Every connection is different and can be effecetd in different ways. This is why you need to eperiment with different MTU & RWIN values to see what works bets for you.

Another question - my desktop pc has an intergrated network card on the motherboard, as a result there is the following in my network connections...

1394 Connection
Local Area Connection
Network Bridge (Network Bridge)

If you have an external router connected to your Ethernet port on the motherboard then is the Local Area Network you need to change.
N/A

actually....use findmtu to get your best mtu for your connetion....its freeware and then use dr.tcp to set the mtu..... Cheesy
N/A

Thats just what i was hoping was available, some kind of auto detection software, thanks for the heads up my friend, will give this a whirl Cool
Community Veteran

Actually it will not find the best MTU for your connection. it just says what the max MTU is possible before fragmentation occurs with your current settings (in windows and router) between you and a pre-defined remote server.

You have to change the MTU and RWIN values and perform speed tests to determin the best MTU/RWIN setup for you connection, this may mean setting a lower MTU than that tool says you can.
N/A

I suggest taking a look at the sticky at the start of this forum, as the topic of MTU and it's setting as been discussed to death. Also a few suggested settings have been placed for all different speeds on the plus net network.

Aaron