cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG814: No 'i' light comming on.

N/A

Hi all,

I've just received my router and plugged it all in as described and found the 'i' light (to indicate connected to ADSL) only flashes occasionally and never stays on. This is my first ADSL connection and I have never attempted to use ADSL from this phone line before.

Does anyone have any tips for things I should try? I phoned (plusnet) customer support and they suggested finding the main BT box and plugging directly into that... which I will try later. I've a feeling that the one I was plugged into was the main one anyway. Any other ideas of what to do before I call out the BT engineers?

TIA,
R.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

A flashing ADSL lamp normally means your router is not getting syncronization with the exchange equipment.
First of all have you been informed that BT have completed the work and has Plusnet sent you the email to confirm this?
N/A

Yes, I got an email confirming this on Thursday. I waited for this confirmation before buying the Router/Modem.

Actually finding the master box in my house might be difficult... I'm still not that convinced that it would make enough difference to cause a complete no connect...... Anyone else any thoughts on this?

-R.
Community Veteran

If you can't find the main box or identify which one it is, then just make sure that only the router is connected.
This is just to ensure that none of your other equipment is not causing the problem.
If having tried this you still dont have sync then it's down to one of two things.
1. The ADSL setup at the exchange is not correct.
2. Your router itself is faulty.

Do you know anyone who has ADSL? if so take your router round to them and plug it in. It will still show line sync even if your not on your own line.

This will prove that item.

If the router is Ok then you need to contact Plusnet so they can Liaise with BT to clear the fault.
N/A

Thnx,
I'll try what you suggest.

-R.
N/A

Hi,

Last night I located where the phone line comes in and tracked it to the first square juntion box. Off it, there was a wire running to what looked like an old style oval connection box (wires into a terminal block at one end and wires out of the terminal block at the other end). The wire from this oval box ran to the rest of the phones in the house.

When I plugged the ADSL modem into the first square juntion box (first in the chain) the modem failed to connect. I then unwired the old-style oval box so only the first sqaure junction box was in the circuit and the modem connected without problem....

This sounds like some kind of flakey impedance matching problem. Is there any way that this can be easily resolved? What if I try to include the filter at the first junction box so that the rest of the house runs off the filtered part and the modem is connected straight to the BT line?

Any thoughts appreciated,
R.

PS: I was pleased with the speed I was getting... well worth the money if I could just get the silly thing to work! :?
N/A

Just a quick update.

I think I've sorted my problem now. Just a case of plugging filters in in a strategic order.... silly me! Shockedops: It seems the modem doesn't like my sky box begin plugged in downstream unless I plug it into a filter.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Oh yes, I found the exact same thing. If I used a filter and then an extension cord, it failled. If I used an extension cord and then a filter, it worked. No idea why, but there you go.
robstreats
Grafter

You might also want to look at www.adslguide.org.uk?
N/A

Have you connected to the router to put your connection details into it?

To connect to the router plug in an ethernet cable and visit http://192.168.0.1 you will be asked for a user name and password which will be supplied in the instructions somewhere.

I've got one of these routers and it works great. There is a extension lead from my phone socket to the router and the filter is plugged in to the end of this near the router. It probably wont work if the filter isn't connected or is in the wrong place.
N/A

Everything sorted now. All I have to do now is play about with the positioning of the filters to make the whole thing a bit tidier.

Thanks again everyone for th help on this.

-R