Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 834G Sync Light - ADSL Not Yet Enabled

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Our exchange is due to be enabled this week. I have placed an order with Plusnet, but have not yet got a date for activation. Status is "Your order is being submitted to BT for ADSL activation" and has been since 10th May.
I have obtained a new Netgear 834G, and out of curiosity I connected it to the line. If I connect an unfiltered phone to the same line, I can hear "noise" , but the ADSL sync light does not flash - should it?
Have I got a faulty unit, or is this the normal situation on this device when ADSL is not enabled?
The wireless, DHCP and LAN switch functions all work fine. I needed those anyway, so I got the integrated unit up front.

Regards
2 REPLIES
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

No Light Until Line Activated

Just a follow up in case it is of use to anyone else

The Internet LED stays dark until the line is activated
Community Veteran

Nothing is likely to happen until about or 2 days before your confirmed activation date so you will have to be patiant and wait a bit longer. Until that time BT may do some tests on your line and you may hear noises or get disconnected for short periods.

PlusNet cannot submit your ADSL order until after the exchange ADSL enabled date so that is why your ADSL tracker is saying what it does.

So be patient, and hopefully the line tests will pass and you will get ADSL. However, I must add a warning here... There is a possibility that the BT line tests will fail due to bad conditions or distance you are from the exchange, so purchasing your equipment before being activated has it's risks.