Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 834G Connectivity

N/A

Hi

Appreciate some views on this 1 please

I have been using the Netgear 834G (wired) for the past 9 months.

The connection has been rock solid, However since Sunday the connection keeps dropping every couple of minutes.

The config is fine and is the same as it was,

I have tried both Re-booting the router and also factory Re-setting it .

this has not resolved it has any 1 got any ideas what it may be.

Regards

tony

Plusnet 2MB Premier Account
19 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Tony
You could start by checking your local exchange for any ongoing BT work or any VP issues Here to rule that out then go from there
N/A

Same here. I have the same router and a 1mb pipe. My connection has been rock solid for over 9 months, and in the last few weeks my connection hasn't been up for more than a couple of days. Sometimes I get disconnected 5 times in 1 day. I also have a friend on plusnet in the same area who is having the same problem, but friends in this area with different ISP's are having no troubles at all.
N/A

Your router disconnecting is not caused by anything at Plus net.

Your router has to synch with the exchange before it even touches Plus Nets network.

If you are losing synch then the problem is local to you, or a problem at your exchange.

Your freinds that are experiencing no issues may be connected via a different dslam or card at the exchange hence no issues.

Check the exchange status and your local setup including filters.
N/A

Iv double checked my hardware and there is no problem there. I have spoken to Matt Taylor in your customer support team and we have come to the conclusion that its a BT Wholesale problem.
craigbrass
Grafter

Did he take any action after he said it was a BT Wholesale problem? Like say he was going to report it to BT?
N/A

yeah
N/A

Time to wait and see....
Good news is BT seem better at fixing things than they are at making them better, so you might be sorted out sooner than you expect. Smiley
N/A

Resolved

mmmm i have resolved my connectivity problem,

The config as previously mentioned was fine and had been untouched when the connection kept dropping out.

I did all the basics, checked for viruses and spyware, workstation was clean, checked all the cables from the telephone point , changed the splitter ETC.

I then as a last resort upgraded the routers Firmware to the latest version for the Netgear 834 Eired Router and BINGO been connected for 3 Days solid now

Regards

Tony
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Upgraded the firmware myself a couple or so days ago and the connection is much better here aswell Wink (though I didn't have any major connectivity problems prior to the upgrade)
N/A

Aha! Finally found some people with my problem. My netgear wireless has been shocking recently too. Can you point me in the right direction of where to get the firmware and what to do with it once I've dl'ed it. I am a bit of a newb when it comes to this kind of stuff Shockedops:

Thanks
N/A

DG834G
DG834Gv2

The label on the base of your router should tell you which it is.
N/A

Alternatively, go to www.netgear.com and select your product from the drop down list on the left hand side.
Once your product has been selected, click on 'support' either at the header of the page, of in the left sidebar.
Once there you will find all manner of troubleshooting and upgrade/downgrade info. Wink
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Near the bottom of this page;

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp

Info on how to upgrade is also there Smiley
N/A

OK - thanks. Look like I'll shall be have a fun-packed and exciting Friday night then Cheesy