cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 834DG

N/A

Netgear 834DG

Hi,
After some advice on how to set up my Netgear 834dg as I am not a computer expert. I did have the netgear 834dg working but had to rebuild my PC due to a virus. Since the rebuild it hasn't worked - Rebuilt to XP.

I think the issue is that under the control panel/networks/the Lan network card looks like it is a standard one. From reading the documentation it should say Netgear 834dg? I am unsure how to get the correct driver on the onboard network card so it will pick up the negear 834dg. Anyway I think that's what my issue is as all the lights are ok on the netgear apart from the test light doesn't go on. I am guessing it is this is the issue. Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Netgear 834DG

Your network card should have no reference to DG834 as the router is a completely independant and separate device from your PC. Rebuilding your PC will not have changed anything in the Netgear router.

What your PC should be setup to is to obtain it's IP address automatically. The router wioll then assign the PC an IP address so it can access the internet.

DO you have a 'My Network Places' icon on your desktop. If so, right click on it and select properties o show the network connections window. If you don't have a my network places icon, click start -> control panel and click the Network Connections icon.

On that window you should have an icon for your network card. If you click it once, what do you see under the dtails section bottom left? Does it show an IP address like 192.168.0.X where X could be 1 -> 253. If not do the following:

Right click the network icon and select properties
In the 2nd window find the TCP/IP entry, select it and click properties
Make sure obtain IP address automatically is set. If not set it and click OK

If you hav changed something then reboot your PC. Once it has rebooted check the IP address assigned by going to the network connections window again as I explained earlier.

If you don't have a network card icon in the network connection window then your network card is not installed properly. You should have been supplied with a CD containing the chipset/network drivers that you need to install before the onboard network card is recognised. If you don;t ave that you may need to contact your PC supplier.
N/A

Netgear 834DG

Yes it does have network card enabled. The onbaod network card was installed as part of rebuold and is working correctly. It does have obtain it's IP address automatically and DHCP enabled. As I haven't touched the router or adjusted anything I am a bit confused. The thing is I can't get to the admin page 198.168.*.* so I know it's not talking correctly. Also the lights all go on the router but it does not do a test signal. Anything else to suggest?
N/A

Netgear 834DG

Have you followed the instruction writtern in the manual, about what do to if you can't access the router. Do you have any firewall software installed?

If you have UPnP enabled, the router should appear under network connections as a UPnP Device, and it will list as the router. This can be quite useful as the router will provide information back to windows about the amount of traffic which is actual passing though the router.

However just re-building your PC will not have any effect on the router itself, as previously stated.

Aaron
N/A

Netgear 834DG

How can I check UPnP is configured on Windows?
gmlogan
Dabbler

Netgear 834DG

Check that you are getting an IP address allocated from the router.

I have had the same problem on occasions with the same router.

Go to Dos (Start, run and tye CMD then hit the enter key)

In the black box, type "ipconfig /all" you should have an IP address of 192.,168.0.? and a gateway of 192.168.0.1

If not try a hard reset on the router, you push a pin into a small hole in the real, it is in the manual.
Community Veteran

Netgear 834DG

Being allocated an IP address has nothing to do with UPnP. IP addresses are allocated using DHCP which the DG834 supports. This also allocates your DNS and gateway servers automatically.

UPnP alows applications running on your PC to setup specific routes through your firewall without you having to configure it manually. There are also very few aps that can use UPnP.

To check is UPnP is enabled in windows:

Start -> control panel -> Adminastritive tools
double click the services icon
Scroll down and look for 'universal plug and play host' and see if it is set to Automatic or manual. If so, it is running.
If it is disabled, right click on the entry and select properties. Then select Automatic for startup type and press ok. The click start and the service will be started.
gmlogan
Dabbler

Netgear 834DG

I was not suggesting it was, I was looking at the original problem, Graham
N/A

Netgear 834DG

Thanks for both your input, I will try it tonight. I actually have a wireless network card which I may put in as a last resort if my current LANcard won't talk to the router!!!
Community Veteran

Netgear 834DG

Have you tried a factory reset. Use a paperclip to press in the small rest button at the back of the router for about 10 seconds or until the lights start flashing on the front (read the manual if your not sure). This will reset everything back and set 192.168.0.1 as the routers address.
N/A

Netgear 834DG

No I haven't. I will try that first tonight.
N/A

Netgear 834DG

Working now. In the end I had to install a wireless network card to get it running. Thanks for your help.
N/A

Netgear 834DG

As a matter of interest, when you rebuilt your xp machine did you leave the LAN card installed in the motherboard.

When I have rebuilt I have always removed my wireless card as you have to install the drivers before the hardware.

Wonder if this could have been a reason for the issues?
N/A

Netgear 834DG

No, I never had a wireless network card installed previously. I never got round to doing it. As a last resort I installed it and it worked proving it was some internal LAN card prob. Though what is strange is since i installed the wireless card and drivers the internal card now picks up the broadband too...