cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 834 - couple of questions

N/A

Hey guys, hoping some of you out there can advise with this one?

Since the regrade my connection from about 23:00 until 02:00 (that's how late I've been prepared to stay up till) has been at best flaky, random disconnects, generally the only way to reconnect is reboot the PC, have raised a ticket and got, check microfilters etc which I will start doing. But having a snoop around other forums I'm wondering if it's the router that's not happy with the new connection. I've seen this come up in a few other places and just wondered if anyone here is seeing the same. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything specific

I have a Netgear DG834 (not the wireless one). Latest firmware patch.

The other thing is that my connection is gradually getting slower, pre regrade I was getting about 1152 kbps , on the first couple of days of the regrade I was on 1440, this number has been gradually decreasing till today I'm on 1088kbps. My upstream has stuck on 448kbps since the regrade.

Again any clues to whether a new router might help some of this.

My line stats are (if any of this helps someone understand)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1088 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db 18 db

Any advise is really gratefully received.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When you did the firmware upgrade, did you reset to factory settings afterwards and re-entered your details? If not I suggest you do that as that can improve reliability on the DG834 (it did on mine).

I assume by latest patch you mean 3.01.25 if not try that version. Some have had better reliability using an earlier version so you could try that, although mine has worked very well wince upgrading to the latest version.

Disconnects are a fact of life with the 10 day trial period. Your current SNR does suggest a higher speed is likely so give it a few more days and see how it goes. Do check you have all your phones properly filtered. You may even want to try connecting direct to the master socket to see if that gives any improvement but beware that losts of disconnects in a short period could be seen as a bad line and the speed further reduced.
N/A

Thanks for that, will give a factory reset a try, this will make me sound like a real numpty now, but is there an obvious way to tell which is the master BT socket, I bet it has the word MASTER written on it doesn't it.

I suspect I'm already in it, doubled up with the Sky line.
Community Veteran

N/A

Yep, I'm in the master socket, one thing I guess is the way I'm connected that might be wonky?

The Sky connection is hard wired into a 2way splitter and plugged into phone socket (the way they set it up) and the micro filter plugged into that (no phone connected in that socket ) so it's just Sky and the ADSL line.

Did the factory reset and D/S back to 1152 so slight improvement.

Thanks for help so far,
Community Veteran

The sky connection is NOT filtered and it should be

You have:

Master socket -> sky doubler -> microfilter -> ADSL modem

You should have:

Master socket -> microfilter -> skydoubler

with router plugged into the microfilter as well.

Your current setup will affect your SNR.

More pretty pictures here
N/A

As someone mentioned on another thread Sky filters are sometimes effecting SNR hugely by upto 20dB. Its a good idea to use a different filter rather than the ones Sky provided.
N/A

Flippin Heck Tucker,

What a difference that made (had to do some other stuff for a while)

Quick change round of the filter/sky thingy and these are the stats now.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2912 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 56 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 18 db

That is more like it, I'm approx 2.8m from the exchange so I never figured on getting a huge leap in connection but this is a real improvement.

Lets hope that the final figure after the training period (is it worth asking plusnet if they can start it again) is around this number.

Thanks for your help all, going to bed now, had enough of computers for one day.
Community Veteran

It is BT doing the connection trailling, PN are not involved and it can't be restarted. It does not matter anyway as you should get your better speed anyway as long as your router keeps connecting around that speed.

With a 9db SNR, you may just get a bot more out of it yet!

Also as you were running ADSL with an unfiltered phone connection (sky) your connection reliability should also improve, and may even be a thing of the paste now.
Enkel
Grafter

Master Socket

Thanks for your picture of a Master Socket, Mr Vaughan. I, too, had often wondered how I could tell which socket was the master. Now I know: - I don't have onein my house - they're all plain-fronted with the whole of the front customer-removable. So where does that leave me?
Community Veteran

Do you know where the BT line enters your building? If it is at roof level, you may have an old style small brown box in the loft or in one of your rooms which then serves each of your wall sockets - It may look like this:

It may be white or been painted over. Other old style boxes can be found here.

You can I think get BT to fit a new style master socket if you are having problems or gettinga low SNR.