cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetGear FVS318 - Anyone using one with ADSL?

N/A

Is anyone successfully using a NetGear FVS318 with any kind of modem / router? I am having an 'interesting' time trying to get NetGear's very poor tech support to agree with each other and tell me whether it can be used or not.
One person says it can't be made to work because it only supports PPPoE (not PPPoA), another says it can be done & gives me a very ...ahem... 'helpful' list of how to set it up (straight out of the manual). By email they seem to ignore what you ask them & just send out a standard setting up guide.

I felt the person who told me it couldn't be done knew more what they were talking about, but i can't believe they market an ADSL firewall router in the UK that can't be made to work.

Any help gratefully received and will probably prevent a FVS318 shaped hole appearing in a window near me.

Nick
4 REPLIES
N/A

FVS318 - Working

You are correct the FVS318 does NOT support PPPoA which is kinda helpfull in the UK. Although you can get it to work like this....

If your ADSL modem has a DMZ port config, connect it to the WAN port on the FVS, therefore transferring ALL ports etc onto the FVS.. This works just fine...

eg..

Internet - Modem (Dyn or Static IP) - DMZ (192.168.0.2) - FVS318 WAN (192.168.0.2) - Internal LAN (192.168.16.x)

Therefore when I ping my static IP, i go all the way through to the FVS.

This will work as I am using it at three sites...
N/A

Surely the significant thing here is not the setting of the DMZ (which does not matter) but that -- as indicated in your example, although not stated explicitly -- there are actually two separate networks:
  • the network between the ADSL Router and the FVS318 (network 192.168.0.0/24, with the FVS318 WAN port being assigned address 192.168.0.2, which is in this network); and

• the network (the "Internal LAN") consisting of the FVS318's LAN ports and all the devices connected to them (network 192.168.16.0/24).
Using those two networks, however, means the FVS318 configuration has to be changed from the factory-supplied default , which uses the 192.168.0.0/24 network on the "LAN" side of the FVS318, not on the "WAN" side. As 192.168.0.0/24 is a popular network for ADSL routers and other network equipment, and as you need to use two networks, it is likely that default factory settings will need to be changed at either the "LAN" port of your ADSL router (connected to the "WAN" port of the FVS31Cool, or at the "LAN" side of the FVS318.

Assuming you wish to leave the FVS318 with its default settings on the LAN side (ie using network 192.168.0.0/24), then, prior to connecting the FVS318 to your network, you should ensure your ADSL router is configured to not use the 192.168.0.0 network on its LAN side. For example, you could set its LAN address to 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (which is an address in network 192.168.1.0/24).

With your ADSL router's LAN address set to 192.168.1.1, you can now connect the FVS318 into your network. The WAN port of the FVS318 should be connected to a LAN port (or the LAN port, if there is just one) of your ADSL router. Up to 8 PCs may be connected to the LAN ports of the FVS318.

If a PC which has been configured to acquire its network address automatically (ie by DHCP) is connected to a LAN port on the FVS318, and the PC booted, it would be assigned an address in the same network as the LAN side of the FVS318 (ie in network 192.168.0.0/24 -- the FVS318's LAN interface has been given address 192.168.0.1 at the factory, so the first PC to connect to it will probably be assigned 192.168.0.2, with subnet 255.255.255.0, and a gateway address of 192.168.0.1, and possibly DNS 192.168.0.1).

From this PC, it should now be possible to browse to 192.168.0.1 (the LAN address of the FVS31Cool which will display the configuration screens of the FVS318. This will allow the "WAN" side of the FVS318 to be configured so it will communicate with your ADSL Router.

The fact that the FVS318 does not support PPPoA is not relevant -- it's your ADSL router which establishes the PPPoA connection, not the FVS318. The connection between FVS318 and the ADSL router is Ethernet, which the FVS318 does support, so that's all that matters. The FVS318 WAN interface is Ethernet, not ATM, so, of course, PPP over ATM cannot possibly be supported. But as the FVS318 is being connected to the (Ethernet) LAN port of an ADSL Router, it's entirely appropriate that the FVS318's WAN interface is Ethernet, as the ADSL Router could not support an ATM or PPPoA connection! Commenting on the lack of PPPoA in the FVS318 is a complete red-herring.

Personally, I would choose the Manual method for configuring the "Internet" Connection of the FVS318. Remember, you are simply connecting the FVS318 at it's WAN interface to the LAN interface of your ADSL Router, so the FVS318 is not actually connecting to the Internet (it's the ADSL Router which does that across it's PPPoA link). Therefore, on the Basic Settings screen, select "No" under "Does your Internet Connection require a login" (it's the ADSL Router which supplies the login data for the Internet connection). Account Name does not matter; Domain Name is optional.

Under "Internet IP Address", if your ADSL Router has been set to act as a DHCP Server, supplying addresses to devices connected to its LAN port(s), then you could select the "Get Dynamically from ISP" option. However, if you set your ADSL Router's LAN address to 192.168.1.1 as indicated at the start of this monologue, then you could select the "Use Static IP Address" option and set the IP Address to 192.168.1.2, the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the Gateway IP Address to 192.168.1.1 (ie the ADSL Router's LAN address).

Under "Domain Name Servers", set the two addresses to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. Under "Router's MAC Address", set "Use Default Address".

Apply these settings.

With those settings in effect, you should now be able to access the Internet. If not, ensure your PC has a 192.168.0.<something> address, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.0.1. The DNS server will probably be shown as 192.168.0.1, and you could add 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 to be on the safe side.
N/A

Perfect!
I've set it up with a separate network between the FVS318 & router/modem and it works fine. I did not need to put it in the DMZ.

Thanks both Cheesy
N/A

Glad to hear you have it working!

The DMZ bit may come in handy if and when you need to configure port forwarding if any "session" needs to be established from outside your network. Both your ADSL Router and the FVS318 perform NAT/NAPT on their WAN interfaces, which means if you want to configure port forwarding, you need to do so at both the ADSL Router and the FVS318. By setting the FVS318 as the ADSL Router's DMZ machine, you avoid having to do any further NAT configuring on the ADSL router, leaving it all to the FVS318. On the other hand, if you don't set the DMZ machine, a potential attacker has to bypass both the ADSL Router's NAT and then the FVS318 -- he's not given a free ride to the FVS318 by virtue of it having been configured as the DMZ host.

For example, if (using the network settings outlined in my previous post) you had a local host 192.168.0.2 on which you wished to run a webserver with public availability, then you would need to forward incoming connection requests directed at port 80. These would arrive at the public IP address assigned to your ADSL router [the address that labelsco.plus.com resolves to]. On the ADSL Router, you would need to configure port forwarding of port 80 traffic to the WAN IP Address of the FVS318 (ie 192.168.1.2 in our scenario). The FVS318 also needs to have port forwarding configured, this time forwarding port 80 traffic to the webserver host, 192.168.0.2.

With the DMZ option, all incoming connections are automatically forwarded to 192.168.1.2, so nothing further needs to be done as far as the ADSL Router is concerned, only the FVS318 needs to be configured. But it does mean that not only would port 80 traffic, but all ports, would be directed to the FVS318.

Another option for servers would be to place them in the intermediate network, the same one which connects the FVS318 and the ADSL Router, rather than in the local network attached to the LAN interface of the FVS318. If the ADSL Router has multiple LAN ports, the FVS318 will be attached to one of these, and a (web) server could be attached to another. Otherwise, a network switch/hub could be introduced to provide the connectivity required. The (web) server could then be given an address something like 192.168.1.3, and the ADSL router's port forwarding would then need to be configured to forward to that, rather than to the FVS318's 192.168.1.2 address. No port forwarding would need to be configured on the FVS318. A big advantage of this configuration is it keeps the public one step away from your internal LAN network; if the (web) server is attacked/compromised, the attacker is not inside your network, and you still have the NAT/firewall facilities of the FVS318 protecting your LAN machines.