cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Gear DG834 Connection Freezing

MarkAngel
Grafter

Has anyone (who has a Netgear Router) encountered a problem with the connection freezing after about a week (week and a half) of use.
I know that NTL has this a problem, with the NTL box freaking out...something to do with having a constant upload speed over a few days.

Just wondering if anyone else is suffering from this.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Loosing connectivity after a week+ is not considered unrealistic.
I guess the router must have a "automatic reconnect" option somewhere in the setup, do you have this enabled ??
Other possibility is a CPU crash in the router due to overheating or poor voltage stabilty.
N/A

Are you using E-mule?
Community Veteran

Make sure you are running the latest firmware for the router, previous/earlier models have suffered from connection problems and lockups, especially if a lot of data is being sent/received and firmware updates have often fixed this. Support and the latest firmware (1.03.00, Dec 12) can be found here. Note: the latest firmware does not work with MSN so if you use this wait for the fix for this before upgrading.
MarkAngel
Grafter

Cheers for the Info, but already on 1.0.3, (and MSN works a treat - even voice btw), but sacked it, went and got a DG834G, flashed that to 1.0.3 as well and so-far so-good esp as the menu transitions are so fast! just going to have to put it down to one of those things.
Thnaks anyway.

M :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I use the DG834G myself after my EN5861 decided to pack up and not had a single problem with it. The only time it's disconnected in a month is when I turned it off to move it.
N/A

Although curling off-topic slightly.

How did you EN5861 die? We had one go poof last year after we moved the shelf it was on.

We have just canceled our BT Openworld DSL line, so we are hoping that the age will see BT forget about it.

Should be fun to get at some of the features that you can't see. The 4 public access pages are very bland, and I am still trying to find that URL for the engineer pages Tongue
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi Philip,

The power supply on the router died, a common problem. There is a website you can get a replacement from, but I decided to go wireless instead.

The router is quite powerful once you've unlocked it, have a look at Mr Saffron's page or here. These 2 pages have plenty of details.
N/A

Hi

I have the DG834 and as you say after around 2-3 weeks of connectivity it gives up until I reboot the Router.

I am using 1.03.00 FW.

This is really bugging me at present cos I need to rely on the connection being there when not at home.

So any help/suggestions would be great.

Cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Connections of 2-3 weeks is very good, and is showing a very stable connection.

Do you notice if it always loses the connection overnight? If so this may just be maintenance, either ourselves or BT, causing the connection to drop and the router just has a problem re-connecting itself and needs some manual intervention.

If it disconnects at random times of the day then I'd just give the router a reboot once a week and it'll likely be fine.
MarkAngel
Grafter

In all honesty I think it has been over night when it has happened, but it has been alright for the past two weeks (touch wood). I'm glad to hear that it is not my router!

Mark
N/A

To ensure the problem is not RF or voltage spikes on the mains supply causing the router to lock, power it through one of the surge protected extension leads you can get (the PC and other PC related equip also)
Community Veteran

In all honesty I think it has been over night when it has happened, but it has been alright for the past two weeks (touch wood). I'm glad to hear that it is not my router!

Nothing posted so far can exclude you router as being at fault. While engineering work MAY be a reason the router itself could still have a problem with long connection times.

My DG814 always reconnects when a line drops so I would expect yours to do the same. There is a later version of firmware around (1.03.01) but it is not on netgears site yet. Someone posted here recently saying they contacted netgear support and he was emailed the later version. Either search for the post and contact the user or contact netgear and see it you can get hold of the new version.
MarkAngel
Grafter

Netgear also recommend that your "Idle timeout" be set to 0 if it isnt already.

M
Community Veteran

The post containing the latest firmare ref was: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13707&highlight=dg834g. The firmware is the same for 834 and 834g. Contact rodsmith and see if he can email it to you to try.

As above, netgear have had lots of issues with idle timeout and routers not being able to reconnect after the idle timeout disconnect. Setting the idle timeout to 0 usually cures those problems, it did for my router.