cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to renew virus scanners if connected to Broadband?

N/A

As Plusnet scans all my e-mails for viruses do I need to renew my Norton antivirus subscription? Does Plusnet scan for viruses the webpages I access too?
Graham John
5 REPLIES
N/A

Many folks 'in the know' use AVG in preference to Norton. I do too!

It's free, with regular updates, and will catch 'incoming' viruses and monitor incoming, and certify outgoing, emails.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

You should also have a firewall, Spybot S&D, Adaware, Spywareguard and A Squared. Google will find the last four, I use Windows XP firewall.

Speaking of XP, if that is your OS, you should have SP2 installed.

All of this applies whether you are on broadband or not.
N/A

My son has XP, but we also use 98SE & Me too, which don't have their own firewalls. Will look at AVG & others. Seems what I need.
N/A

Sygate is a good free firewall:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html

Avoid having two firewall in operation on one PC.
N/A

Thanks for all this. I assume that no-one considers Plus Net on its own to be sufficient protection?
Community Veteran

You need to take responsibility for your own virus scanning. You can not rely 100% on the Plus.Net virus scanner.

The Plus.Net virus scanner is great and stops most viruses before you received them, but it has been know to miss a few.

It is generally considered good practice to have two virus scanners from different vendors, as when new viruses strike it takes a little time for them to update the definition files. This gives you two lines of defence.

I also recommend AVG

Chilly