cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with DNS records

N/A

My small home network is connected to PlusNet via the SAR119 router. Everything is working fine. All machines can connect to the internet.
One of the machines is running Apache (192.168.7.3) and I want the website running on that server to be available on the internet. I have a domain registered (www.annfieldplaincc.co.uk) which I want to point to my fixed ip address.
I know I need to add a DNS record via the portal. I thought what I wanted was an A record of the form:

left field www.annfieldplaincc.co.uk
type A
Pri -
right field my fixed ip address

I have also set up a NAT record so that all port 80 requests coming in to the router are forwarded to the machine running Apache.

However, when I try to access www.annfieldplaincc.co.uk, I am still getting the old host of that site. I assume this is just the normal delay until the DNS servers have updated. When I try http://nn.nn.nn.nn (substitute my fixed ip address for the nn's), I actually get the password screen for my router.

Can anyone shed light on what I am doing wrong? :?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I get the same thing from here, you need to turn off external access to your router, probably in some sort of security settings page. Check your manual / help files. Make sure apache is running and listening on the correct port, if you still get problems change the port to 8008 and retest with http://your.ip.add.ress:8080

Also make sure your router does NOT use the default password, otherwise people who know the password might log in and mess around - I haven't tried this as I don't know the password for your router.

Chris
N/A

Note, with 90% of routers, you will not be able to access your website hosted on your LAN, by using your +net assigned IP.

This is because of the way your router functions.

The only way to test this is to use a external Proxy server, or try accessing your system from a computer outside of your network.
N/A

Hi,

Currently your router is responding on port 80 with its own config page - as suggested you may want to disable external access to the configuration pages.
If you need further help with port forwarding, please check the router documentation - the discussion forums on www.solwise.co.uk can also be useful if you are having further problems.

In terms of your domain records, the correct syntax is this:
left: www
type: A
right: (your IP)

When you make these changes they will take up to around 4 hours to propogate fully.
N/A

Thanks for the various suggestions
I have changed the password for the router, thanks fa55dsl. I will look into turning off external access to the router configuration.
I know about the problems accessing the server from another machine on the same network, acarr. I did see a work-around somewhere in this forum or the solwiseforum.
I'll look into this a bit further.
Again, thanks
Community Veteran

Cool, no probs.
Let us know how you get on.

Chris
N/A

It works (via http://my.ip.add.ress). I'm still waiting for the DNS to update on the fully qualified domain.

The fault was in the NAT configuration on the router. I specified an incorrect interface (eth-0) instead of ppp-0.

Many thanks
Community Veteran

"This is surely a test site"
Is what comes up so yes it does work.

Chris
N/A

Yes, the fully qualified name is now also working.
Just need to check that PHP and MySQL are working now.
Cheesy
N/A

Philip (acarr)

I found that link on solwiseforum. It's at http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3059&highlight=lan+webserver

The gist of the solution is to make an entry in your hosts file with the fully qualified domain name and lan address of your webserver (not the fixed ip address). That way, when you type the website name in the browser, the hosts file directs you to the web server running on your lan.

Steve