cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help configuring Origo router to run under linux

N/A

Hi,

I am new to the world of ADSL using routers etc and have just been connected to PlusNet and have a Origo 1 port router which I want to use purely to connect to the internet and let my linux box act as the router and firewall. Can anyone assist on how I would go about setting it up? prior to getting broadband via adsl I had cable and it was as simple as plugging the cable modem in to my 2nd NIC (eth1) and setting eth1 as being dhcp, the cable modem then passed the ISP assigned IP address transparently to the NIC. I am not sure on how to do this with the router, can it even do this?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Bryano
9 REPLIES
N/A

Its very simliar to how you have it set up.

You connect it to your 2 nic and most routers will have dhcp, you will then have to log into your router and setup your details. Were the problem may arise is having to nics as the dhcp off the router may be in the same range as the other nic.

You can normaly change the lan ip of the router. This is were the diffrence is as with a modem the first nic will have a ip in the range 212.0.0.0.0 but with the router it will be 10.0.0.0 or 192.0.0.0 range so all your routing on th elinux box will go up the spout
N/A

eth0 is the internal lan card and is on 192.x.x.x range and eth1 is the one i want to connect to the router. I see on the router that it has an option to dish out dhcp addresses however will this not just assign a 10.x.x.x or whatever range i put in there instead of passing the static ip assigned to me by PlusNet to eth1 ??

On my old cable set up eth1 always showed my isp assigned ip address.

All help appreicated.

Bryano
Community Veteran

On my old cable set up eth1 always showed my isp assigned ip address.

That is probably because the one used on your cable connection was just a modem and the connection to your PC was effectively the plusnet network assigned IP address. You now have a modem and router and with this setup the modem (WAN) side has the plusnet assigned IP address and the router side is normally part of your local network (192.168.x.x etc) and the router translates your local IP address to the plusnet assigned IP address internally.

If this modem only has one network connection (i.e. it's not a 4 port switch/hib) then sometimes you can configure it to pass through the WAN IP address to the router side so it acts the same was as your old cable modem.

Do you have the full model number as there are lots of origo routers according to google. Also check your manual to see if it's possible to pass-through the wan assinged IP address.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Model is ASR 8100 1 port, thanks for your help so far its appreciated, I really am at a loss as to what I need to and dont need to configure on this router as all I want it to do is pass everything through to my linux box and have that route the traffic and firewall it etc..

The manual for the router is aimed just at windows users and only shows connections via usb and also does not really detail which each setting does...

Cheers

Bryano
N/A

Cool just managed to download a full manual from their website so I will go through it and hopefully by the end of reading it I will know what to do Cheesy
N/A

you need to change your internal network to 10.0.0.0 -10.0.0.25 range if the router wont let you set its range to 10.0.0.0. Its unusual as most will let you set the range.

So the wan sid eof the router will be in the 212 range its internal will be in the 192 range and your other network will be in the 10.0 range so the linux box will have to route betwee the 2.

Realy all you need to do is plug all the network into the router there isnt much to be gained puting it through th elinix box. The router does a nat so its a type of firewall anyway.
N/A

The router is currently on the 10.0.0.0 range however it will let me change it to the 192.168.0.0 range to match my internal network, surely i do not have to change my internal lan to to 10.0.0.0 when i can change the router ip ?

I dont want the router to firewall the packets as I have a perfectly good firewall rule on my linux server which has worked for me for over a year now when I used to have cable modem connection and I much prefer the flexibility that gives me as the router just does not 'cut' it in my opinion.

Im getting there slowly... thanks for all your input so far.

P.s. what the heck is elinix?
N/A

P.s. what the heck is elinix?

A typing error.
N/A

all working now Cheesy