cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing a router

N/A

im looking to get a router, but my modem is a usb modem, will i need a router that is usb compatible?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No. Routers normally connect using an Ethernet cable to an Ethernet or network card on your PC. This is a different and much better interface than USB.

If your PC does not already have a network port/connection, you may need to purchase a PCI network card for about 5->10 pounds to alow the router to connect.

Also a router is a separate device and handles all the connection and transmission of data. You will no longer need to dialup or click an icon on your desktop to connect to the internet.

What router you buy depends on what you want to do. If you want to connect more than 1 PC you need a router that has more than 1 port. You can usually get 1 port and 4 port routers.
N/A

would it be better to purchase a router that is also the modem so it replaces my existing usb modem?
N/A

yes, you would need to look for a modem/router
i can reccomend the origo asr8400
N/A

reccomend any sites? cheap if possible as im on a tight budget!
N/A

ebuyer.com is where i got mine from
TimG

Hi I've just joined PlusNet. I bought a Netgear DG834G from broadbandbuyer.co.uk , delivered next day. This has wireless networking but I think the DG834 (no G suffix) is same without wireless. Installed Ok following install guide on CD which does have one or two steps missing or glossed over. dabs.com & simply.co.uk are good sources.