cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help!

N/A

Need Help!

Having just bought a new Netgear router/modem we thought it would help with the speed problems and allow best use of speed increase on line.

PN speed test shows connected at over 3 Meg yet the pages return as though we are still on dial up. Checked the PC and is seems clean. Run AVG prof, Adware and MS Anti Spyware. So what's going wrong. Is the PN speedtester reliable or is it 'fixed' to return higher speeds than the user actually achieves?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Need Help!

Have you checked using the ADSLGuide Speed Tester
N/A

Need Help!

What Pages?

Some pages have an extention of php or asp or cfm these pages run on the server and this may mean if its pages with that extention are slow that its the server buzy.

If its all pages then it could be the AV scanning it that is the problem or it could be a dns issue or an MTU error. Give us more info please
N/A

Need Help!

Thanks for reply. I've checked adsl guide and dlsreports for speed and tweaks. Although I seem to be connecting over 6meg (see below) I avg around 3.5meg on tests. I asked Pnet for RWIN settings but they referred me back to the boards to ask other users on the 8Meg trials. Thanks.
Below from the router:

System Up Time 00:10:50
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 3 4 0 0 0 00:02:50
LAN 10M/100M 6126 4033 0 8222 1243 00:10:48
WLAN 11M/54M 906 0 0 131 0 00:10:46

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6272 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 8.9 db 23.0 db
Community Veteran

Need Help!

what speeds do you get with the plusnet speed checker and ADSlGuide Speed checker Also to help determine where any faults may lie try the BT Speed checker a guide on using is here[
N/A

Need Help!

Thanks for reply,

Just ran ADSLguide test:

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1787 Kbps (223.4 KB/sec) 1929 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 385 Kbps (48.1 KB/sec) 415 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Lower than usual, normally around 3.4 to 3.8

Any ideas?
N/A

Need Help!

When were you upgraded to the 8mb trials?

There is a 5 dayperiod where by your line is monitored and evaluated to see what it would average. It would then be set at that speed ( you already mentioned 3.5 ).
N/A

Need Help!

Upgrade took place on 25th Jan. Other settings on PC such as RWIN etc were not at their optimum. Is there any way to have the 'line re-set'.
The other site posters use (sorry forgot url) suggests my line is cabale of 8MB based on the line noise and attenuation? figures. Sorry if this is a bit hazy, I'm not an advanced user.
avalon
Grafter

Need Help!

From what DT said on the subject, if you unplug your router for a while and plug in again it will cause the exchange to go through the 10 day relearning process again.